starting issues

j6986

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum. recently i took on my dads old 86 6.9 diesel as a project. Five yrs ago Graham international installed a reman engine it nevr ran the same. on start up it smokes like crazy(grayish/blue color) levels off but never qiuts completely. Please help???? Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm thinking it needs to be timed... Sounds like the timing is retarded a bit... welcome to the forum. This forum offers more free information just for the asking. None of the dealers are able to help much on these rigs... they mostly work on the newer high dollar stuff....

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary I am still waiting on the orings for my truck....but my truck was retarded quite a bit when I first had it running then I advanced it more and got rid of most of the smoke. I couldn't leave it running very long since I didn't have coolant in it. The new motorcraft glowplugs are staying on for quite awhile but it doesn't seem to start as good as it did last winter with my old glowplugs. If the truck is still retarded some will that affect the way it starts?

Sorry to hijack this thread.....PM me if you want

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin