started clacking louder

mainiac

Reaction score
Did this the other night on the way home.
The motor ( 83 6.9 ) started sounding like the advance solenoid came on and the black smoke was billowing out the exhaust.

I shut it down and restarted it, and it did it still. It came out of it a few seconds after I restarted it. Did this 2 or 3 times last winter, too.

Thoughts?

sassyrel

Reaction score
well-the sensor by the thermostat is what kicks it on--maybe thats headed south???

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
How many miles on the injectors.
Possible one of em is sticking open and dumping a bunch of fuel into the cylinder. That will cause the timing to advance on that cylinder if the injector is sticking open , also a good indication of the black smoke. Too much fuel or not enough air.
A good dose of some power service or your local flavors might help things temporarily.
Tell us more about your truck.
Mileage, trans, body etc. ;Sweet

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
The temp sensor in the intake that controls the idle advance and fast idle, when it takes a dump, you r truck will go in and out of fast idle and or advance time. Thus the rattle from your motor. I wired in a toggle on my dash to control my fast idle and fuel advance. It's kind of nice to be able to control these functions.