started 1st gen cummins in my F-350

jdubya

Reaction score
started the swap yesterday (finally).

Motor is in and adapter,flywheel and clutch are on. Just need to bolt up the tranny and t-case, then comes the fun stuff. Driveshafts, put the front clip back on, bolt on bed etc...

Here are a couple pics so far.

Attachments

• crossmember clearance.JPG
    crossmember clearance.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 63
  • drivers side front.JPG
    drivers side front.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 72
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 57
  • valve cover clearance.JPG
    valve cover clearance.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 61
  • passenger side.JPG
    passenger side.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 59

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
SHA-WEET! :hail

keep a good photo and parts source so you can {if you choose} submit a tech article :thumbsup:

If memory serves :eek: look up Rubberfish and swap ideas
He has one in a chebby LOL :D

keep us posted :cheers:
GEO

jdubya

Reaction score
All the parts I got for the swap came from Fordcummins.com. They are pretty proud of their stuff so it is kinda pricey. On the other hand, They researched everything so it all fits in pretty good.

I'll keep up with the pictures. Should be able to work on it some more this week.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
I'm planning the same swap. Cummins in a F350. SWEEEEET :thumbsup: ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet . A truck with a body that will last as long as the engine. I figure that the Ford body and the Cummins engine will out live me. What tranny are you oung with?

jdubya

Reaction score
Same as you are. I had a ZF behind the 6.9 that was in it. I am using a cummins from an 89 dodge so no worries on an intercooler for now. bought a complete engine kit from fordcummins.com.

It's going in an 88 1 ton 4x4 frame but the body is toast. I just picked up a 93 2wd crew cab that is in mint condition and that body is going on my 88 frame with about 3" of lift and 36-38" tires.

One question I have for you is are you using a body lift and if not how are you going to run the exhaust. That seems to be the only thing that concerns me at this point.

Tranny and motor are in right now. Just have to move the crossmember back, bolt up the t-case and make new driveshafts.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
jdubya said:
One question I have for you is are you using a body lift and if not how are you going to run the exhaust. That seems to be the only thing that concerns me at this point.

I wasn't aware that there would be concerns about the exhaust fitting. I haven't researched this swap enough to do it yet but I've found the FordCummins website, Cumminsconversions.com and read several threads about the conversion. This is the first mention of exhaust issues that I've come across. I assumed that the Cummins exhaust would go down beside the engine about the same as it does in my '90 Dodge.

Question 1 : Is the installation brochure from FordCummins.com as helpfull as it needs to be?

Question 2 : Are there any issues that came up that the brochure didn't cover.

Question 3 : Is the lift necessary?

jdubya

Reaction score
The biggest issue I see with the exhaust is that the starter is directly under the turbo on the passenger side. Without a body lift there is no room to go between the starter and the firewall. It looks to me that you need to bend a downtube in an S shape to go in front and then under the starter (kind of hard to explain).

1. you could figure out the install without the brochure, but I bought one anyway. It does have some helpful hints. If you havent called these guys yet you should, they are very helpful with what you need and don't need. Open up your wallet real wide though. I've got close to 1800$ worth of stuff from them sitting in my rig right now.

2. brochure covers pretty much everything. Not to many pictures and some stuff is kinda vague.

3. So far the lift is not needed. I have the motor and transmission in and it does not seem to hit anywhere. The lift would make it much easier to get in but doesn't seem necessary at this point.

Ceejmo

Smoke a Ricer today
Reaction score
Thanks jdubya,
All good information. I hate suprises. There's nothing worse than getting 95% done with a job and finding out you need a tripple bent double offset half twist special order thing-a-ma-bob that you were not expecting to need.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your Cummins is 89 model, how is your starter on passenger side??

My 89 is on driver side.

Got the 6.9 out yesterday and Cummins soon to go in.

jdubya

Reaction score
The ZF starter goes in on the passenger side. Not much I can do about that. The adapter only bolts to the block one way.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jdubya said:

It's going in an 88 1 ton 4x4 frame but the body is toast. I just picked up a 93 2wd crew cab that is in mint condition and that body is going on my 88 frame with about 3" of lift and 36-38" tires.

If you are using a body lift, that will have no negative effect on the exhaust. All the hanger brackets are on the frame to isolate the noise and vibration. being a straight six, you should have a fairly easy run down and out the back from the turbo outlet.

jdubya

Reaction score
I don't want a body lift on it. I can make it work without one, just gonna have to make my own exhaust. I've got the exhaust from the truck it came out of, just need to cut and turn the down pipe so it will fit. I just talked to a guy last night who did it without a body lift and he made it work so I know it's not impossible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726