Stack through the hood?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll second that, but be carefull with the avatars. Us admin types discuss the risky ones in our private little area, and decide their fate at will. As for the stack idea, yes this has been done. I saw an article in 4Wheeler mag back in the 80's where a fellow had put a Cat in a late 70's body style, and had a single chrome stack coming up throught the windsheild cowling as close to the passenger side A pilliar that he could get it. It looked good, and was not in volation of any visibility laws. Kinda like a duece and a half. I'd use a curved tip which should prevent any problems with sooting up the windshield.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good ideas guys!
I was looking at the back of the turbo the other day and it seems like there would be a heck of a wild bend to get the pipe pointed back to the front for a short stretch to get it up and out the hood........this kinda makes me reluctant......I was hoping it would involve very little work.... :rolleyes: Yeah I know nothing worth having comes easy!

Reaction score
cowboy,

I've thought about the same thing. Even running the air cleaner out the side like a truck. I think you'd have to find an older smaller truck with a smaller air cleaner to make it look half ways decent. Either that or you could probably make one that would look similar.

My thoughts on the stack are it would be difficult to run it out the hood. I've really thought about this with my rig, but my girl wont ride with me if I have stacks...sooooo. My personal opinion if you want it to look good would be that you would have to run it in through the vent inlet and out directly under the passenger windshield pillar. It'd be tough to do this with the blower motor right there. If you could get it close to the windshield pillar I don't think you'd have much problems with visibility.

I've also thought about coming out in the same spot then running the stack along side the passenger side windshield pillar. This is kind of like the old Case/IH tractors used to be. I don't think this way would look as nice though.

Like Mel says, I think you should have a sweep on it to keep the black away from the cab. I remember some pictures on the other sight, but they were in the archives and it's tough to find them.

Good luck. Be sure to keep us posted.

Paul