Stack through the hood?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting rid of the dual stacks behind the cab and putting a single stack right through the hood of the truck. The problems that may arise that are making me reluctant to do this are the following:
too much attention from cops
too much smoke and black on the cab
obstruction of view for the cops to nail me with

The advantages are:
very simple exhaust system
no need for downpipe
clear view of smoke
"coolness factor" (originallity)

What do you guys think of this idea......Has anybody tried this yet?

While I'm on the subject i have also thought of running a semi air cleaner on the side of the truck, it isnt the hole through the quarter panel that is stopping me from doing this, but rather the fact that i would have to move the antifreeze collection container and the window wash container.......seems to me there isnt much room to relocate them.
Any thoughts on this idea? ;Really :Sly

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
You would have to have a pretty long hole so you could get the hood open. That or a lift off hood then you would have to lift the hood over the stack to remove it.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I would think you would get alot of exhaust restriction making the tight bend off the exhaust manifolds. I also think two pipes sticking out of the hood might attract a little too much attention from the law you may end up getting more speeding tickets etc.

As GRuss says how would you open your hood ?

jvencius

Reaction score
IMO, it would look "unique" in the sense that sometimes "unique" is a synonym for "ridiculous". If you're looking to draw attention for all the wrong reasons, go for a single stack exhaust, but unless it's on a track-only vehicle, it just looks retarded. :puke:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
He wouldn't get any restirction if he mounted his exhaust manifolds upside down, then they would point right up at the hood, then :peelout

If that didn't work, turn them upside down and switch sides, then they'd at least be pointing up but still at the rear of the engine.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Pacific said:
I would think you would get alot of exhaust restriction making the tight bend off the exhaust manifolds. I also think two pipes sticking out of the hood might attract a little too much attention from the law you may end up getting more speeding tickets etc.

As GRuss says how would you open your hood ?

The hood wouldnt be a problem at all if the length of the pipe sticking through the hood is small.........which is what i had in mind. Only problem with a short length of pipe is that the smoke will be blowing right in the windshield...I dont know if that will be a problem or not, i imagine i will have to keep the window washer fluid filled up. The truck has a turbo so i only need one pipe and it will be a very short length compared to the stock exhaust so restriction will be at its very minimum that is one of the reasons i want to do it.
Nick I had also thought about coming out the passenger side like you said but doing that would require that i go through air conditioner lines and i am reluctant to do that as well.
Any more thoughts?

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
The hood wouldnt be a problem at all if the length of the pipe sticking through the hood is small.........which is what i had in mind. Only problem with a short length of pipe is that the smoke will be blowing right in the windshield...I dont know if that will be a problem or not, i imagine i will have to keep the window washer fluid filled up. The truck has a turbo so i only need one pipe and it will be a very short length compared to the stock exhaust so restriction will be at its very minimum that is one of the reasons i want to do it.
Nick I had also thought about coming out the passenger side like you said but doing that would require that i go through air conditioner lines and i am reluctant to do that as well.
Any more thoughts?

First cold day or after a heavy power run, you'll change your mind. Take some soot out of a firepit and some fuel in a spray bottle.... throw/spray it on a window.... try to wash. That is what will happen with windshield wipers.... and I guarantee the wipers wont do the job. Also there is the noise factor to contend with... no muffler and being behind the noise as well as the law---especially with this setup.

There is a reason nobody runs track-style exhaust on the streets.

As for the Semi-style air cleaner..... some things are just meant to be on semis and nothing else. There isnt enough vertical hood on the Ram to make it look good. Also have to remember that semis have a narrow engine hood compared to light trucks.....

LOL :D Are you on drugs today? Some of these ideas are really original... and it would look cool.... but not on the Ram in a street enviroment.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
LOL :D Are you on drugs today? Some of these ideas are really original... and it would look cool.... but not on the Ram in a street enviroment.

No I'm not on drugs!............should I be? :rotflmao
Anyway I have a ford not a ram and it is old enough that i have some more fender room.......however you make some good points. I am just ready to try something new that hasnt really been done by a lot of people yet.......the truck is gettin old and I am not concerned about whats left of the sheet metal so cutting holes has become more appealing ;Really

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
DC, You have a fine looking truck. Put your efforts into making it hotter running and bullet proof at the same time. Build it to where you would hook 12K behind and pull this whole country without a second thought and get there without a strain on you too. That's what I'm starting to do to mine. I want to set the cruise, watch the road, be able to stop in a pinch and enjoy the ride. Also know that I can repair it on the road if something does go wrong.

Better than spending 35-45K on a new one you cant maintain on your own.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
No I'm not on drugs!............should I be? :rotflmao
Anyway I have a ford not a ram and it is old enough that i have some more fender room.......however you make some good points. I am just ready to try something new that hasnt really been done by a lot of people yet.......the truck is gettin old and I am not concerned about whats left of the sheet metal so cutting holes has become more appealing ;Really

Doh!!!! I didnt notice or just plain didnt see the forum location. :rotflmao :rotflmao yeah... if you do have an older ford... that would work out a heck of alot better..... on the air filters anyway. hood stack idea still sucks... even on a ford. :D How about a drag-style exhaust? have it dualed and come out the sides under the doors or something? just thinking! ;Really Then you could still see the smoke. :thumbsup:

I'd say cut away. what the hell. life is short. LOL

Last edited:

wanderer

Obtuse Degenerate
Reaction score
Pull the washer fluid reservoir, and take a hole saw to the fender. Plumb the pipe from the turbo out the hole in the front fender, and angle a fitting down so that there won't be any rain collecting, and the soot gets blown down the side of the truck. This won't look too awful good, but it will definitely get noticed, and you don't have to modify the hood.

snatchal

Reaction score
I had a 66 scout with a turbo-charged 4 banger. After the turbo froze up, I removed it leaving the exhaust manifold sticking straight up. I took a sawzall to the hood, bolted on a straight pipe and an old muffler off of my old man's 9N tractor . the only thing I had to buy was the little flappy thing on top. This thing drew lot's of attention in the high school parking lot. of course you could get away with that 25 years ago.