Squealing brakes

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back when i had my TTB my brakes squealed really bad....so i bought new ones...no sooner than 10,000 miles they were doing it again....now that i put the dana 60 in they were good for a while but theyre doing it again....my brakes are still like new....they have so much pad on them and i'd hate to get rid of them just because they are squealing.....i heard that if you dont use factory parts this tends to happen....now that the weather is breaking and i have my windows down it i really ****** me off....also...i cant find rivited brakes anywhere....anyone know of a company....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
They sell a squeak stopper caliper grease - I have never used it but it might be worth a try.

yep never used it myself but it is supposed to work, lube where the caliper rides and behind the brake pad where the caliper pushes against. its supposed to dampen out the high frequncy vibration/squeel.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I used the one called disc brake quiet from advance on a car and it worked very well.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your rotors glazed? All the stop-squeal grease in the world wont do any good if those rotors are all glazed up.

Aftermarket pads tend to have a harder compound than the factory ones, so they last longer. The tradeoff is that they wear into the rotor some, and cause it to glaze. The glazed rotor with a harder compound pad will almost always result in a squeal. Also, be sure all the factory anti-vibration hardware is present and in good condition.

I run only Motorcraft pads on my truck, and it stops great and doesn't make any noise. The Napa specials that were on it when I bought it squealed so bad I took 'em off with like 95% remaining and trashed 'em...

ryan

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes but it stops good...dont they have a hone type thing that goes in a drill to scuff em up if they are glazed...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, yes but thats not a very good way to de-glaze a rotor. You need to have them machined on a brake lathe to do it properly. Anything "freehand" will allow you to put variations in the surface of the rotor that will lead to noise, pulsation, and irregular pad wear.

Ryan