Spindle question

KevSrFord

Reaction score
My 85 f350 dually 2wd. Is the spindle from an f250 SRW the same? Some parts lookups are saying that SRW and DRW are using the same front spindle but that seems strange to me. But I could just be putting more thought into something that I don't need to be and suspension items are not my strong suit when it comes to mechanics.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about 2wd but 4x4 was the same. The factory just used a hub with a spacer on it for the dually rim. Not sure what they did for a 2wd but they could have kept the same theme. Here's what it looks like.

You must be registered for see images attach

KevSrFord

Reaction score
Don't know about 2wd but 4x4 was the same. The factory just used a hub with a spacer on it for the dually rim. Not sure what they did for a 2wd but they could have kept the same theme. Here's what it looks like.

You must be registered for see images attach
That may be the case then.
I have some buggered threads on mine that I worked on and made usable but since I need to do king pins on it I figured I would go ahead and replace it while I was tearing into it that far.
Thanks for the information

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That may be the case then.
I have some buggered threads on mine that I worked on and made usable but since I need to do king pins on it I figured I would go ahead and replace it while I was tearing into it that far.
Thanks for the information

I was able to restore the spindle threads on my RV, and they looked REALLY bad from badly stripped (overtightened) nuts. Folks here commented how surprised they were about how they were able to be restored. I was too. It was a $15 gamble for the rethreading die that paid off.

I dunno if this is the right size threads for your truck, but this is the exact one I bought and used that fits my 85 E350's front spindle threads:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEZVOGE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I highly recommend that if you are still questioning how good your threads are.

KevSrFord

Reaction score
I was able to restore the spindle threads on my RV, and they looked REALLY bad from badly stripped (overtightened) nuts. Folks here commented how surprised they were about how they were able to be restored. I was too. It was a $15 gamble for the rethreading die that paid off.

I dunno if this is the right size threads for your truck, but this is the exact one I bought and used that fits my 85 E350's front spindle threads:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEZVOGE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I highly recommend that if you are still questioning how good your threads are.
I did mine once using what I call a redneck die (a grade 8 nut cut in half and clamped super tight on the threads and ran out cleaning them up) and it worked pretty well and has been in service for about a year like this. And honestly would probably be completely fine to reuse as is. But this has been in the back of my mind for some time and since I am going to do kingpins anyway I figured it would be a good time to replace it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I did mine once using what I call a redneck die (a grade 8 nut cut in half and clamped super tight on the threads and ran out cleaning them up) and it worked pretty well and has been in service for about a year like this. And honestly would probably be completely fine to reuse as is. But this has been in the back of my mind for some time and since I am going to do kingpins anyway I figured it would be a good time to replace it.

My threads got pretty flattened it looked like and a lot of metal came out (but I think it was from the stripped nuts). The rethreading die has a means of pushing out the metal bits, so it's a better way to go vs a nut. Plus it has threads meant for cutting somewhat. And it's only $15. It was gonna cost me $150 for a pair of used spindles on ebay. Thankfully van stuff like that is pretty cheap due to low demand and high number of parts vehicles. They were even gonna be off another RV made by the same company as mine. Turns out I didn't need them though, thankfully.

This goes right to the post showing the damaged threads on both spindles. Scroll down several short posts beyond it, and you'll see a pic of one side that cleaned up very well. Both sides did though. https://www.oilburners.net/posts/1067225/

EDIT: Actually here is the post showing the other side: https://www.oilburners.net/posts/1067308/