Spindle Nut Socket Size?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hollee *****...

Ya absurd cause the tool is sold by APPLICATIONS that it fits not a size.....

Here is the one I use
You must be registered for see images attach

May want to try to ensure no one has effed up your spindle nuts...hammer and punch will get em off btw

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Hollee *****...

Ya absurd cause the tool is sold by APPLICATIONS that it fits not a size.....

Here is the one I use

May want to try to ensure no one has effed up your spindle nuts...hammer and punch will get em off btw

There is a very similar looking one at Advance that is 2-5/8 which is to big from what I can tell. Do you have a Dana 60 that you use that on, or a different axle not Dana 50 TTB? And my spindle nuts are fine because I will not use a hammer on them.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...xle+&+spindle+nut&page=1&sortBy=1&results=All

if they are trying to sell you by size, they are trying to sell you a standard locknut socket
sort by applicable vehicle if you wish, but 3246 is for dana 50/60, 2770 is for dana 44, and 3195 is for the rear axle, also 28000 is a good one to have as it takes the place of both 2770 and 3195, 7698 is for jeeps dana 60's, but I've made it work with both a dana 44 and a dana 60 on fords
I've got most of them, and they are generally available on the shelf at a decent parts store, I've bought some at oreilly's, checkers (when we had one years ago), champion auto (again, when we had one), and napa
and yes, they are about as common a specialty socket as the ford oil pressure sending unit socket, one of the first things I do when I buy a vehicle is inspect and either re-pack or replace the wheel bearings

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...xle+&+spindle+nut&page=1&sortBy=1&results=All

if they are trying to sell you by size, they are trying to sell you a standard locknut socket
sort by applicable vehicle if you wish, but 3246 is for dana 50/60, 2770 is for dana 44, and 3195 is for the rear axle, also 28000 is a good one to have as it takes the place of both 2770 and 3195, 7698 is for jeeps dana 60's, but I've made it work with both a dana 44 and a dana 60 on fords
I've got most of them, and they are generally available on the shelf at a decent parts store, I've bought some at oreilly's, checkers (when we had one years ago), champion auto (again, when we had one), and napa
and yes, they are about as common a specialty socket as the ford oil pressure sending unit socket, one of the first things I do when I buy a vehicle is inspect and either re-pack or replace the wheel bearings

The problem is that they list at least 3 for that application. And having measured the spindle nut as best as I could it is evident that whatever O'Reilly, Advanced, Autozone, NAPA, Carquest, Craftsman or Snap-On sells does not work. And if you look at the socket itself you will notice they actually do have a size on them. If you have them then take measurements and post them, because that is the only way to know for sure.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20151115_084230.jpg
    20151115_084230.jpg
    895.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20151115_083455-1.jpg
    20151115_083455-1.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 15

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Here is the kit that I use. I purchased it at O'Reilly's years ago. And here is the socket you need. Sorry it's dirty and hard to read , I am in the middle of rebuilding my d50.

2 1/2 " 4 lug Inner Spindle Nut #648477
http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648477-Spindle-Socket-Inner/dp/B0015V1QF6

That will not fit. The shoulder on it stops it from going even close to the spindle nut. I got the exact same one from O'Reilly and tried multiple times, checked everything out, and it will not fit in there.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
What is hitting the shoulder? Can you take a picture?

Yes the shoulder was hitting. I already took the socket back. O'Reilly ordered a new spindle nut just to get this confirmed once and for all. They are going to measure it and actually put it with every socket they have just to get this mystery solved.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is hitting the shoulder? Something is screwy so pictures of inside the hub would help.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
personally, if I was in that situation.........
it would have been hammer and screwdriver time about 6 am today :rotflmao

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a very similar looking one at Advance that is 2-5/8 which is to big from what I can tell. Do you have a Dana 60 that you use that on, or a different axle not Dana 50 TTB? And my spindle nuts are fine because I will not use a hammer on them.

That socket is specifically for Dana freaken fifty and Dana freaken sixty.

It fits both flawlessly.

If you get that socket and it does not work there are thre options...someone has changed spindle nuts or the spindle nut is damaged or you are doing it incorrectly.

Regardless it is 100 percent compatible with D50 and D60 in our Ford trucks.

I walked i to Lordco asked for said D50 or D60 socket they walked over to pegboard pulled it off and out the door after payment...25 bucks or so...cant recall.

Bottom line it is jot sold by size it is sold by application it fits.

As I am not the only one to tell you this perhaps you need to order one online.

JM2CW