Spare engine?

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just found a '90 7.3 in my town for cheap. Here's what he says about the engine:
Hi, The engine had top end work done, and started knocking 3000 miles later. The original owner had been ill and a year had gone by so the dealer wouldnt honor any warrenty on work done. The owner decided to buy a new Dodge and parked the Ford. I bought it from him and found a good engine in the truck Im parting out right away so just swapped it out. I was in a hurry, needed to go to California so did not put the turbo back on. I have the old engine still. I dont know how many miles on the pump or injectors, but it ran well till it began knocking. Truck is a Getrag 5 speed, but reverse is out. I will rebuild the tranny when I get time, those 5 speeds are worth a small fortune.

He's keeping the tranny but I can have all of the rest of the conversion parts to turn my E4OD into a manual at some point, & the entire engine with all accessories (minus the turbo & radiator) for $150. Good buy? Seems like it to me. A couple of bent injector lines would run me more than that wouldn't they? Have to clear out a space in the garage and pick up a motor stand that can handle the weight too I guess. He's wanting $600 for just the turbo. Probably a good deal, but I don't have that much $ to play with right now.

Anyway, let me know what y'all think.

Thanks,
Mike

SKimballC

Reaction score
Uh, that's kinda confusing, but $150 is pretty damn cheap for a complete engine w/ accessories and fuel system, even if it is knocking. The statement about the 5 speed being a Getrag makes me think he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Buy the motor.... When you get it look at the block casting numbers. The turbo block has the casting numbers 10809000C3 and the serial numbers start at 1,116,331. Any serial number between 500,079 and up to 1,116,330 is a non turbo motor and the block casting number is 10809000C1. Below that its a 6.9 motor. I paid $78.50 for a complete 7.3 on Ebay. It had "high miles" on it so said the owner. What it really had was a broken rod at cylinder 5. All I did was loose that rod and rebuilt the motor into a turbo motor. All was ok and I saved that motor. Your deal sounds like you can sell the parts of the motor and make lots of money if you want to.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if you have the room you cant beat the price, even if you only need a few parts from it it can pay itself off quickly. i wouldent count on it being a good motor though, most sellers err on the little white lie side to help sell there stuff. dont ask me how i know, yea it just needs som eplug wires to take care of that miss :rolleyes: for that price though you almost cant go wrong.

i might be interested in the turbo if that is possible, i am looking for a set up to throw in my truck.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Jred,
Let me know if you want his email address to buy the turbo and I'll pm it to you.

I went ahead and told him I'd take it for $150. I thought it sounded like a good deal to me, but I wanted some confirmation.

His comments were confusing, that's why I just pasted them entirely. I don't know a Getrag 5 speed from a ZF 5 speed and I haven't seen it yet. I tried to buy that from him too but he wants to keep it.

Thanks all,
Mike

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yea shoot it over so i can check it out, looking for a complete wastgated set up if i can find one.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he calls the trans doesn't really matter. I have no idea what trans is in what either......

150 for a core motor sounds fine. Throw some new bearings and an oil pump into it, bolt it into a truck and see if it still knocks...