Somethings not right here

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with this picture?

Suppose loose Torque converter nuts would cause this?

Attachments

• bad foot 001.jpg
    bad foot 001.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 69

LittleBlue

Reaction score
loose TC bolts/nut will cause the break over time. But all the ones I've seen sound louder then a rod knocking.

1. Improper torquing proceeds of the TC bolts/nuts, by not pulling TC forward snuging and torquing in cross pattern.
2. Improper torquing flywheel bolts.
3. TC nose binding in crank and performing #4.
4. Securing TC to flywheel and attempting to force trans housing forward using bell housing bolts while TC is not splinted with front trans pump.
5. Out of balance and/or vibrates in rotate assembly.
6. Damaged crank/ imput shaft or worn bushing/bearings .
7. Vehicle accident.
:dunno

Last edited:

snatchal

Reaction score
It looks like someone did the "torque convertor lock-up mod" and forgot to flip the switch before stopping.:eek:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn't look like it sheared off from rotational stress. No, that thing was wiggling like a piggly wiggly.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tranny was out twice in the last 2k miles. First time I pulled it and put a remaned in, bout 500 miles later the front planet blew. They pulled and replaced. When I pulled it I checked under the bolts, bet they didn't.

Started making a terrible sound while my wife was driving it, she shut it down and I hauled it home. When I unbolted the TC I did not have to hold it to loosen the nuts. 2 will not snug up at all 1 will a little 1 is good and one of the nuts had been cross threaded. I put new nuts on when I pulled it.

This fits with the drive shaft broke 2 six point box end wrenches trying to unbolt the rear u-joint, never did get it loose. Every thing was extremely tight. I think the guy installing it was air wrench happy.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tranny shop is sending a wrecker to get my pickup. Its 100 miles to the shop and I told them I did not think it was a good idea to drive it that far with loose TC nuts.

The fly wheel never rotated independent of the center, if it did not have the ring under the bolt heads the TC would have settled back against the pump and every thing would have come to a stop.

Last edited:

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck left on a wrecker Friday evening. Supposed to have it back Tuesday evening, well they are supposed to be done with it by then anyway. Its 100 miles to the shop so it would be after work Wednesday before I could pick it up. I am rebuilding my daughters AX4N out of her '96 Taurus and found out hte case was swelled and cracked so my brother in law is mailing a case and repair parts from his tranny shop in Fort Worth. This means daughter has my '84 BII which leaves me with just my '97 van to drive. From 3 vehicles down to 1 in the blink of an eye.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I have seen flex plates crack from old age or whatever,but never in the center like that.I had a flex plate crack in Wisconson a few years back.I put the torque converter bolts with blue lock tite(a routine every time I did a flexplate ( I had one loosen up when I was a lot younger)none of the bolts were loose ,I think it was old age and hard work.Not really that common. But it does happen.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly,
this one could be chalked up to age and metal fatigue. I know the local AMR repair shop has a collection of cracked flexplates. The next item fleet shops have a "affection" for is late model GM gasser feul pumpscookoo