Some Small Winter Woes (Park Brake, Foot/Defrost, Engine Operating Temp)

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few small issues that were recently brought on by the cold weather and snow we are receiving in my neck of the woods.

The first Issue I noticed about a week ago, and maybe not so coincidentally, the morning after a snow fall. I had my parking brake set over night, and the next morning when I went to drive it, the parking brake wouldn't disengage all the way. The pedal could move freely, but the cable was stuck part way pulled out still. I got it to disengage after it had warmed up outside some, and I engaged and disengaged the parking brake a few times. Now, this same thing happened again yesterday morning, after another snow. It hadn't happened any of the other nights when it got cold, but did this time after a snowfall again. Except, It hasn't warmed up to above freezing since then, and I can't get it to disengage again. What could be the cause of this?

Second issue, This was also noticed yesterday on my 250 mile trip home. My heater works fine, blows warm air, except It will not blow air on your feet, when feet only is selected, it still blows all its air to the defroster. Is the air vane in there electronic, or is it just on a lever?

And finally, also noticed on my 250 mile round trip yesterday, My truck didn't get up to operating temperature. It hovered at around 180 to 185 the whole time, which isn't that bad, but it was only 25 out yesterday, and I am expecting to see much colder as the winter goes on. I would like a snap on grill cover of some sort, just wondering if anyone has had any luck with any of these in the past.

Thanks for the advice.

I am logging some good miles on WVO, and the temperature doesn't seem to be an issue so far. My heated system is working great! ;Sweet

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I never use cable-operated parking brakes overnight in the winter for that reason. Maybe if I'm just hooking up a trailer or something for a few minutes. Otherwise, shut the truck off and stick it in gear to hold. Overnight, I'd just stick it in gear and forget about the parking brake.

Can't help on the other two:dunno

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Park brake wise its freezing in place which is why you shouldn't use them below freezing especially when snow is involved. Far as the heater you probably have a vacuum leak in your HVAC system, winter cover wise FIA makes one that snaps right on and works decently (personally Id replace the stick on snaps with screw on as half the stick on ones have fallen off on mine)

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Park brake did come undone on its own this morning. That's good. I'm trying to break the habit of setting it every time I Park. If it does get stuck again, is there anything I can do about it? Any way to get it unstuck?

As far as the heater goes, a leak in the vacuum lines, is that something that's easy to find. Are the main components of the system under the hood or behind the dash?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The control for the vent selector is under the dash and the blend door (temperature) selector is under the hood on top of the blower motor enclosure...as near as I can remember. Both are vacuum controlled.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Far as getting it unstuck your best bet is a small portable torch, however personally I hate crawling under a vehicle in the cold so I just don't use the park brake in the winter :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to knock popular wisdom, but I ALWAYS use my park-brake, regardless of temperature/climate, UNLESS I have been driving in heavy freezing rain and expect temperatures to drop drastically in the night, in which case the shoes may actually freeze to the drums.

It has been my own experience that, when the cables start binding in freezing weather, it is on account of there being many little strands of the wire cable broken and thus making the diameter of the cable larger; then, when the temperature drops, the outer sheath shrinks and the swollen cable then hangs; thus, if you are experiencing cable binding problems, my bet is that it is time for a new set.

Be very careful trusting a heavy truck to stay put only by leaving it "in gear"; no matter how excellent the compression may be, even the best of them will creep away and some will plumb leave the country.

I always try to park such that the truck would have to roll uphill to go anywhere.

As for the heater/defroster situation, if the truck has factory A/C, you are describing typical failure of the vacuum selector switch, which is behind and connected to all of the levers and switches; when vacuum fails, the air flow defaults to defrost.

I hope this helps.