So what did you do with your truck today?

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really like the running boards on that truck. Funny, my 89 350 DRW has a C-6 not the e4od.

89 F-350 sc 2wd DRW 7.3 ATS 088, C-6 with Gear Vendor and a rats nest of wiring that was free with purchase.
00 Excursion limited, 6.8 4x4
2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic Sport 4x4 4.0 auto

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really like the running boards on that truck. Funny, my 89 350 DRW has a C-6 not the e4od.

in this case,you'll be glad to know your better off with the c6.'89 e4od wasn't a good trans.riddled with failure points.of course had it,came with an e4,it would of long since been replaced and updated by the time you got it now,so i guess i should say,good thing for the original owner,too bad for you now that id didn't get it.it's not impossible to swap it but too much work unless the truck was a cream puff and you had lots of time and $ on your hands,but i suspect if you had,you might of just picked a bit newer truck too? so a catch 22 there i guess.
so really,all i accomplished was a talk in circles on this one.:D
she's got the GV.clean up the wiring and run 'er.;Sweet

Grendel

Reaction score
Replaced dead starter in my 1993 F350 XLT Crew Cab SRW w/7.3L IDI, while at it went ahead and tested the block heater that turned out to be good and ran a new power cord up to the grill.

Had terrible starting issues this winter and finally the starter died. After reading a lot of recommendations I went ahead and replaced the starter with a gear reduction DB Electrical SND0027 Starter. Now it starts in less then a second but getting used to the sound of the starter is going to take a while. The new starter went in real easy in comparison to getting the stock one from 1993 out }:|

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score

chip truck-
i went to AZ and exchanged my reman starter with another,free of charge with the lifetime warranty.i swapped it out due to the rounded off teeth on my flexplate that i just replaced.the teeth on the starter didn't look the best so i just swapped it.
i forgot that i could actually install that now too lol.oh well.still waiting on rad mounts and hardware anyway.i installed new u-joints at the front and rear of the front driveshaft while it was out.
went to plug in my solenoid pack and the plug just cracked right in half.repair plug is supposed to be here tomorrow too with the rad hardware and new converter nuts.this might be chip trucks longest downtime next to re-paint and trans reman.the longest of self repair anywho.

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in this case,you'll be glad to know your better off with the c6.'89 e4od wasn't a good trans.riddled with failure points.of course had it,came with an e4,it would of long since been replaced and updated by the time you got it now,so i guess i should say,good thing for the original owner,too bad for you now that id didn't get it.it's not impossible to swap it but too much work unless the truck was a cream puff and you had lots of time and $ on your hands,but i suspect if you had,you might of just picked a bit newer truck too? so a catch 22 there i guess.
so really,all i accomplished was a talk in circles on this one.:D
she's got the GV.clean up the wiring and run 'er.;Sweet

I suspect the C-6 is original because the indicator on dash only shows 1,2,D, though I've never looked at a e4od dash to see if it's different. I like my GV, although it would be nice to have the GV controller instead of having to engage and disengage manually and it shifts pretty hard, especially on disengagement. If I was going to do anything transmission wise, I'd probably put a shift kit in and a HD low stall converter for towing.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
washed up chip truck.she's driving great now and leak free.no more small ps leak.got that fixed.i installed a coupling between my two aux oil cooler lines while the machine shop fixes a leak in that.
all kinds of silly power again without a boost leak in my wastegate/smoke puff line lol.;Sweet
shortened that up so no wire tie needed so it wont get cut through again.

so i went to try and figure out my trans temp gauge issue.so i installed a new sending unit.no luck.i inspected the ground to the gauge no luck.still same issue.the gauge is just ******* all the way up.if i disconnect the ground,it goes up slowly.hook it back up and it pegs instantly.iv got all gauges on devoted grounds.
it's an auto meter electric gauge.
i guess it just went bad hey guys? any suggestions/opinions?

(yes i know trans temp isn't really running hot.fluid can't get hot this fast and iv got a point and shoot thermometer.running perfect 175-185F)

oh,no more grinding when i start it!that's been nice! just click,zip, vroom,clatter,clatter.
lot of work changing the flexplate but so worth it.dang that sounded junky sometimes lol.id get some strange looks when the starter would just grind and it made people nearby jump out of their skin lol.

just got done replacing her rusted out rad support,as shown in a devoted thread.
(titled; l@@k what i found in the lonestar state - for those who missed it.want to see tips on how that's done.)

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-2640-Transmission-Temperature/dp/B00062YWBU

bought and installed October 2012.so only been 3 years.that's not too good.

Last edited:

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discovered a new odd noise at low speed. Metallic rattle or grind. It may have been there before honestly, however as it sounds a bit like a dual disk dry clutch I really didn't pay it much mind as that's a normal diesel noise from the old days.

Guess I should probably sort out what it is.

And the amusing exchange between my wife and I

Me : I think I might have an injector ticking
Her: how can you tell with all that racket?

Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me : I think I might have an injector ticking
Her: how can you tell with all that racket?

Sigh.

That made me laugh. My response to my wife would have been the same way you can tell the piccolo player is out of tune in a 150 piece marching band...you just can... but we were band nerds.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Was gonna rebuild the forks on my bike, but checked the oil on the truck first as I've noticed the truck has been marking it's territory with puddles rather than the usual spots. Down a quart, about normal usage/leakage. Then noticed the large puddle of fuel on the intake, then the wet injector next to it. That explains the occasional whiff of fuel I've been getting in the cab. Pulled the rear two injectors that were easy to get to... Got lucky those had my two missing copper washers from when I replaced injectors. Cleaned and installed new washers and o-rings. Couldn't find my bag of viton o-rings but found the buna and now no leaks from those. Makes me wonder if there aren't any more copper washers lurking in there though. After I got it all together last time I noticed two missing. I'm never that lucky.

Maybe I'll get extra lucky and this will clear up the slight miss when hot. Let it idle up to temp and it seems smoother, I'll know for sure tomorrow when I work it a bit to get completely up to temp. Can a leaking return cap cause a misfire? Not bad like cracking a line, but noticeable nonetheless. I'm hoping this was at least my issue with cold starts. It stopped doing the start/stall thing a while ago but after sitting overnight it usually lopes up and down a time or two then settles into a nice smooth idle.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed @mblaney made verzion of The Cure for flip flop draglink on F350 4x steering...

Seems better than it was...next..a steering box that doesnt leak

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daughters car broke down so had to go on a recon mission.

You must be registered for see images attach

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Built a relay/fuse holder couple weeks ago for my upcoming "headlight relay mod" and soldered in a new headlight switch plug (headlight and dimmer switch will be replaced too).
I welded the piece of flat steel onto the jack holder (the jack is carried in the toolbox...). Fits right in and ends where the AC dryer sits.

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just driving the heck out of it :D been dead nuts reliable. boosts good, pulls good. clutch seems to be holdign up still soemhow. Going to reseal the cab lights though, and grease all joints this weekend. Maybe waterproof the oak flatbed.

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screamed at my non working tail lights. Replaced light switch which fixed some other issues but not that one. But I don't WANT to play trace the wire and grounds!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online