Smoking like Crazy

mas3372

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this site and know very littel about diesels or engines. I admit I would not be able to offer much help due to my lack of knowledge. But I am hopefull that I may able to get some insight.

Heres the deal. I am looking to buy a flatbed to mount a power washing set up on in the summer and plow with in the winter. I looked at a 1988 mitsubishi fuso yestarday that has only 23k on it. The truck sat for the last 10 years because the original owner got sick and stored it until his recent deatlh. The truck starts right up but smokes like crazy. Lots of white smoke puttering from exhaust and even escaping thru the seams in the exhaust pipe.

After running about 10 minutes, the smoke comes more steadily from the tailpipe with less blow by but still lots of white smoke. The guy selling it claims that when he puts new fuel, oil and air filters, that will help and changes out the diesel sitting in the tank (its old). He also claims that the pistons are no spinning yet because of lack of use and will after about 500-1000 miles of driving.

My questions are these. Does this make sense? Am I buying a piece of junk? Is it more likely a fuel injector problem? Is the truck worth $6000.

It's a 4cly turbo.

Thanks. Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would see how it runs after he gets fresh fluid in it. How cold is it in your area? it is normal for diesels to smoke when cold. i would be leary of a truck stored for 10 years becuase of some hidden problems.

his explanation of pistons not spinning doesnt make sense. pistons dont spin they reciprocate...

mas3372

Reaction score
It is about 30 degrees F, New England weather. The truck ran about 30 minutes and no real improvement. He just called with the changes in fluids and I am going to see if it is any better tomorrow.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yeah, old hammered diesels that have sat forever always seem to " just need" bla, bla, bla, to be perfect. All you have to do is buy it and it will magically be perfect.
If I had a buck for every time I heard that one....

COuld it possibly just be stuck rings, yes, would I bet 6 grand on it, no way.
A smokey chokey truck that's sat for ten years with what is really an unknown past, and who knows what kind of damage from sitting, be it rubber parts, wires, whatever rodents have consumed. Too many variables, aside from it being probably an underpowered improperly geared 2 wheel drive rig for plowing ( those things haven't got much in the torque department. They'll haul a decent load around town, but they'll make you work for it )

A vehicle with that history is worth whatever you think the chassis is worth minus what it might run to overhaul the engine. I've heard all kinds of stories, but why does someone really leave something sit for ten years, and weather of not it racked up miles, it still got ten years wear and aging.

mas3372

Reaction score
RLDSL, Thanks for the advice. I decided to stay away from this old smoker. Out the door now to look at 99 with 130k, fleet maintained for a grand more.

There are several guys in my area that plow with these trucks and have no problems. I would only be doing driveways and small lots.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'd say a grand more for one 11 years newer with regular fleet service would most likely be a lot better starting point.

Nothing kills a vehicle or a house faster than sitting doing nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online