Smoke issue

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 idi 290k
I’m having a issue with white smoke during warm up, once warmed up it goes probably 85% away then I’ll get a light haze at idle. When I go to take off and just feather the throttle I’ll get a little white followed by black. What I think is weird is that if I rev it back to back the smoke gets blacker and blacker with each rev. I have all new injectors and glow plugs, and a salvage pump. I’ve messed with the timing for weeks on end and am where it’s starting really fast when warm, and have plenty of power so I should be really close.

Any ideas?

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should also note compression test yeilded 400’s with on 390 on a mildly warm engine. “ up the road the grab the tester and back. 1 mile round trip

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also it could be my cdr, I just replaced it and my intake is still full of oil. I can also see oil pooled up on the outlet of the cdr, would shoving steel wool into it to catch the oil particles be a bad idea?

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also it could be my cdr, I just replaced it and my intake is still full of oil. I can also see oil pooled up on the outlet of the cdr, would shoving steel wool into it to catch the oil particles be a bad idea?

CDR gets blamed for everything but it is more or less just an open tube normally. Packing any steel wool in it seems like a good way to insert steel wool somewhere in the engine it ought not go.

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CDR gets blamed for everything but it is more or less just an open tube normally. Packing any steel wool in it seems like a good way to insert steel wool somewhere in the engine it ought not go.

That’s what has been haunting me and preventing me from doing it. This smoke thing is just irritating haha

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On one of my smoky trucks I just took the tube off the CDR and let the blowby vent under the hood. No change in the smoke, but the truck is a little stinkier. It's trivially easy to take the rubber tube off the CDR, and it will tell you if that's your problem. You can always hook the tube back up after.

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On one of my smoky trucks I just took the tube off the CDR and let the blowby vent under the hood. No change in the smoke, but the truck is a little stinkier. It's trivially easy to take the rubber tube off the CDR, and it will tell you if that's your problem. You can always hook the tube back up after.

I was think about a RDT. Going to see if I have any air intrusion on the Tank selection valve today. Heard air in fuel could smoke white? Don’t know how but I’ll try it

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RDT is a down-tube? That's probably a good way to go, but just letting it vent under the hood for a short drive will tell the story, then you can put it back or go with the down-tube.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You'd definitely know if there is air in the fuel. It would VERY hard to start when cold. It may run erraticly too. Idle may be rough. Going down the road, it could feel like it has no power then it has a lot of power at times.

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did the selector valve delete today. And it helped the smoke a lot. Still a little bit. But now I’ve noticed a very slight shaking to it when idling. Does it cold and hot. When cold now it just looks like a normal gasser warming up. The shaking is enough to feel in the seat of my pants. Shakes the antennae a little bit too.
Maybe one of my new injectors isn’t doing 100% of its job?

True IDI Blue

Reaction score
Having same issue and it sounds like your fuel return line is clogged. When the fuel return is clogged it advances the timing on your injector pump and this is what is causing your smoke. Just changed mine today and it made a very noticeable difference. Good luck.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clogging in the return will increase housing pressure which will retard not advance the timing, and will decrease fueling as well. To test to see if an injector is causing the shaking, crack one injection line at a time and the engine should sound worse if the injector is working correctly, if one or more injectors doesn’t make a difference in the engines sound, you found the ones causing the shake.