Smoke changing, The bi-polar F-250

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey yall, so I have a 1988 f250 7.3 idi 1st gen banks turbo kit, And well the trucks has the worst case of bi-polar i have ever seen. In the morning Ill start my truck let her run for about 10 minutes and start to drive and as im going down the road it will smoke black just little bit, but as im going down the road lets say 10 miuntes and it will smoke grey A LOT. than sometimes it wont smoke at all even if i try, it will switch back and forth between no smoke a little bit of black and a bunch of grey (in know order it depends on the truck's mood i guess). Im truly at a loss and pretty confused to be honest. I have done Injectors all eight two weeks ago I bypassed the CDR and made a RDT and thats it for anything i have done to the truck, in addition oil is still good and no bubbling or loss of coolant. Any info would be helpful.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grey smoke sounds like burning oil mixed with unburned fuel, check your oil levels after a trip and see if you are loosing oil

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RDT causes crank to build pressure. I had no leaks on my truck before I did mine, then it leaked a lot from everywhere once I did the RDT, and back to not leaking after putting the CDR back on. Maybe oil is getting thru the turbo into the exhaust? Doesn't take much oil to make a lot of smoke if its vaporizing.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In other words, the extra crank pressure can be enough to push oil past the seals in the turbo. But, it was smoking pre-RDT install, right?

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But will a blown turbo seal cause it to smoke black grey or no smoke at all through out a 1 hour drive to work. And the RDT I thought would have little to no crankcase pressure it's just a tube running from the vent on the timing cover to the back of the cab and dumping out there

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
These need a negative crank case pressure. In other words, a slight vacuum.
RDT can't do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Every turbo that's needed seals has been white smoke. Could be unrelated but fuel filter has it been changed recently?
Maybe Ip?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online