SMF bolt length question

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 1989 f250 7.3 idi turbo 5spd 4x4.

I have purchased an autozoo special flywheel and clutch, and have run into an issue.

When I called Perfection clutch, they told me I need 3/8-16x2.25" bolts to hold the flywheel to the crank.

Nobody here has them, the jump is from 2.00 to 2.50"

Has anyone used the 2.00" bolts without ill effects? Or should I buy 2.50" bolts and cut them down to an appropriate length?

If anyone has any new 2.25" bolts, I will buy them from you.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The autozone kit should come with all the necessary bolts. Mine did.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately mine did not, they didn't have the kit,so I bought the clutch and flywheel separately

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya want to be sure what bolts you use if they don't come with the flywheel. They are special heat treated. If you have a Fastenal or a Torx store near you, I would consult them as to what to use. Grade 8 may be too hard, grade 5 may be OK if not made in China. Normally a bolt used for that application is case hardened with soft center to prevent shearing and also has the correct length of threads and shoulder.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can't find what you need at Fastenal like posted above.......... call South Bend Clutch or Fort Wayne Clutch and get a set of their flywheel bold for your IDI.

They are the correct lenght, material, and have the needed sealant on the threads to keep oil in the crankcase.

Heath