SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW 0-70= 45 sec?

Reaction score
OK, I HAVE driven an IDI truck in the past, but like 15 years ago, so I can't really compare mine to that. I just figured I had a slow Dorf pos and it was normal. Reading another post though someone mentions that even a non turbo IDI should easily pull a load up X hill without any trouble.

Well, I clumb? a 6% grade at mayb4 45mph, and the only thing in the back was the stock wheels and tires, another set of rims, and a rear bumper. I just figured IDI is really no big powerhouse anyway, and you would be surprised (as I was when I unloaded them) how much wheels and tires weigh.

Now, my speedo doesn't really work or I couldn't give it a 0-60 run, but this video is probably 0-high 60s or maybe 70.

I do have 4 55g drums and a 15g and a 30g in the back and my wieght on the scale is just over 9k#.
LINK to video

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That was one slow run, seems way to slow even if it weighs 9k.

So now come the questions: How old is the IP/injectors? Have you had it timed? How much black smoke was coming out the exhaust when you did this run, or similar runs? I'm sure others will have other questions for you.

On another note, my truck weighing at at 6300 pounds will go from 0-60 in, I believe I counted, 17-20 seconds, I cant really remember. So even though you have 2700 pounds on me, I dont think it should take that long, something isnt running quite right on your truck I'm thinking.

Reaction score
Oh I guess I should have known those questions and answered them originally.

Dont know how many miles are on the truck, or any of the parts. I do know that the head gaskets were replaced a few years ago, and the injectors are not gray originals. I haven't timed it, nor do I have the ability. I did change the fuel filter and the oil!

There is ZERO Black smoke EVER. If I let it idle a long time then floor it, I can get a blue grey plume. When gitin on it (always LOL) it will only have visible smoke above like 3-3200rpm. It isn't anything really even visible, it is more a brownish grey haze.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's funny....
I was just talking with Dave85 about powerchokes and IDI's this afternoon while going after my latest CL buy. My F450 carrier (10k empty) would do 0-60 in roughly an hour. My usual gauge is if the car next to me at the stoplight would get more than three car lengths at normal acceleration, I have a problem with my truck. My '92 CC dually has no problems in keeping up with most cars, but then again it's far from stock.
Bottom line....don't expect any low numbers with a non-turbo'd truck. Physics plain will not allow it to happen. Throw a turbo on it and it will wake up. Throw a IC into the mix and HANG ON. I'm not kidding on this onecookoocookoocookoo
The survivors riding shotgun will tell you all about this:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
45 seconds is a bit too long even for a n/a truck...empty. When you have all those 55g drums in the back if they are full, they weigh 350-500lbs full each depending on what's in them. I think the timing and such is where I would look first. No smoke at all sometimes means retarded timing. You should get a good puff on hard acceleration and when its pulling a grade hard but most of the time none at all. My truck keeps up with traffic ok most of the time in town, and I voluntarily stay in the right 2 lanes on the highway and feel ok there. When I put my boat on it(maybe 2500-3500lbs) it slows down quite a bit, or with a full cord of firewood in the back...same deal.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well even though my truck is probably the lightest one here being that it is a standard cab short bed, it will get up fairly well, I have no problem keeping up with traffic, even with the 3.54's. I am running an 84' 6.9 NA, also has a good solid smoke trail when you really stick your foot in it, One thing though is that I had friend of the family who is a heavy equiptment mechanic time it to the 8.5 and that was a differance of night and day, If you do have someone else time one of these engines make sure they know what they are doing, I first took mine to the local diesel shop and had it timed and it was a Doooooooooggggg When I got it back, I didnt need a speedometer I needed a calander:backoff , It had no smoke, no acceleration, and was louder than all 8 rods knocking at the same time. I will do a 0-60 here in the next day or so and let you all know what I come up with. Just my 2 pennies. -Brad-

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Someone who times these engines needs to have the right tools and some know-how, or you need to buy the tools if you can find them and teach yourself. Timing by ear can be good enough, but that's gotta be by someone with a lot of IDI experience and even they might be .5-1 degree out.

Reaction score
I take it back, I drove old Smokey before I sold it to Calvin, and we towed an old Buick to the scrap yard with it. Seems maybe it was the same power, but OBVIOUS something is wrong with old Smokey

GOSH DARN IT! I hate being a Liar (or just mistaken) I guess I have driven the '88 5spd I bought too. It seemed more powerful, BUT it is a stick, and a 4x2 reg cab. I only drove it around my block so i never got out of 2nd gear tho. Now IT DOES have a puff of black, then no smoke and then some on hard accel. It has no taillights, and the clutch doesn't disengage. Oh, and expired tagz. DOH! Cracked head or something too. Maybe that is why I haven't driven it LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well, I just went down the road and tested out my 0-60. The first time it took me 20 seconds, but half of that run was up a 6% hill. The second time took me 15.5 seconds, and that was up an about 1% hill. I shifted pretty fast, but nothing to crazy, and I only took it out to 3000 rpms becuase any higher than that and it feels like its losing power.

aaklingler

Reaction score
I turned the pump up on my 93 and it made a big difference, I don't have a time but it moves pretty good empty, but it does slow down with some weight on it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could switch injector pumps maybe, if you think the fuel system from the 7.3 is better. You still have to get that timing right. I see youi're in Oregon, are you anywhere close to Oregon Fuel Injection? They have a good rep online and probably have the tools to do the timing job right. Its 8.5*BTDC at 2000 rpm with the pulse method or 1.5*ATDC at 1400 rpm with the luminosity method if you can buy or borrow the tools.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I will check at Autozone to see if they have "the tools" . OK don't laugh too hard...

:rotflmao sorry, its not nearly that easy unfortunately, check the meter in my timing meter thread, that is the kind of equipment you need. maybe not that specific one but at least one like it.

i used to work there and i can tell you anyone in my store would give you a deer in the headlights look and the best they could do is point at the regular timing lights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online