Slave Cylinder Installation

91 7three

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so I went to put my slave cylinder in and it doesnt fit. Like the rod doesnt compress back far enough to fit behind the throwout fork. i think it will fit if I could pry the fork back and slide the slave cylinder into place, but i feel like thats still too tight and that something is wrong. Are they supposed to be a b*tch to put in? or is something wrong? i was thinking the only thing wrong could be maybe a bent throwout/clutch fork. please help this is holding me back on the zf swap and i need to get it done.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slave should have had a clip holding the rod back. You're supposed to retain that clip for installation, then un-clip it from the slave body. Or you could leave it clipped on, and the first time you hit the pedal it breaks the clip.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend Guy had the same issue could NOT get his slave in no matter what.

I said I have a trick, and YOU are going to do it first try I guarantee it! Well He did it.

Take a 1/4" drive nut driver like ratchet but screw diver handle with a socket that fits against but NOT OVER the ball end of pushrod that sits in slave and presses on fork.

Slide your slave in place take the nutdriver/socket combo, press against the pushrod hard and you can press it just past clutch arm, rock your hand out pressing pushrod towards your clutch arm and voila...DONE!

JM2CW

Please post back once you do this!

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue, used a ratchet clamp to squeeze the push rod in, worked like a charm

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is a new slave cylinder, it should have come with the retaining strap. DO NOT BREAK IT! Those things are like gold. Just leave it on and unclip it. If you are doing a swap though, it sounds like you may have second hand parts though in which case your stuck dealing with it the way it is.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i fodun when installing mine, i actually had to unhook the clutch from the master cyl rod, and pull it all the way forward, it was maybe another 1/4" but that alloweed the fluid to travel bckewards. Works fine ever since.

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ratchet clamp?

Probably meant 'ratchet strap'.

Mike

No, I meant "Ratchet Clamp", got a throw away from Harbor Freight . Took the pads off and drilled a dimple on the edge so that the round end of the push rod would sit in it , mounted the slave and used a screw driver to pluck it into place. Clamp down on the slave before mounting. used a fifteen inch clamp smaller might work too. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-ratchet-bar-clamp-spreader-46807.html

Last edited: