Size of these holes ??? Water Temp Stuff

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the rearward plug on the D/S head myself. I like to keep the factory equipment working:

You must be registered for see images attach

So what didja use to pull the plug with?
Its a pita to access on my 93 with eng installed!
I am looking at fab ing a socket to fit the square head as nothing fits from ny rollaway!?

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
It's a square plug so it has to be an 8 point socket. (8 points are olde school so they aren't real common, but they are out there).

So 8 point 9/16, preferably 1/2 drive or better as the plugs can be stubborn.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Using the rear port on the heads is not telling you the highest temp the engine gets. The coolant flow comes up from the cylinders back there and flows forwards to the front of the block. Thats exactly why the over temp switch is located in front of the cylinder head.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12 point socket should work.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Nope

It's a square plug so it has to be an 8 point socket. (8 points are olde school so they aren't real common, but they are out there).

So 8 point 9/16, preferably 1/2 drive or better as the plugs can be stubborn.

Thanx kinda like hens teeth today!

Or a weatherhead socket. They are made for elbows and square plugs

Hmmmm thanx

Using the rear port on the heads is not telling you the highest temp the engine gets. The coolant flow comes up from the cylinders back there and flows forwards to the front of the block. Thats exactly why the over temp switch is located in front of the cylinder head.
Thanx gary, I'm gunna swap the overtemp back there so I do 't have to stare at the dash light!
Its useless anyhow with a real gauge!

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score

I've temped both ends with an infrared thermometer, the difference is minuscule.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
The 8 point sockets are obtainable, just not off the shelf. They're on ebay, where I got a set for a pretty good price, and IIRC Craftsman (and probably other vendors) can order them for you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I've temped both ends with an infrared thermometer, the difference is minuscule.

If thats what you feel is correct then run where you want. I also have a infrared temp gun and see much different temps no matter what I shoot compared to my Isspro after market mechanical or electronic gauges. Not at gauges are correct nor are the guns. It is a fact the coolant flows from the back of the engines to the fronts. Thats why the temp switches are located up front. That location of the small sender on top of the block to the drivers side of the injection pump is in a blending chamber that runs under the injection pump to the other side where it combines with the passenger side just before it sees the thermostat. Might be a little too much information to digest but its good reading just the same.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
If thats what you feel is correct then run where you want. I also have a infrared temp gun and see much different temps no matter what I shoot compared to my Isspro after market mechanical or electronic gauges. Not at gauges are correct nor are the guns. It is a fact the coolant flows from the back of the engines to the fronts. Thats why the temp switches are located up front. That location of the small sender on top of the block to the drivers side of the injection pump is in a blending chamber that runs under the injection pump to the other side where it combines with the passenger side just before it sees the thermostat. Might be a little too much information to digest but its good reading just the same.

I get that, I know you're correct in the design and function, it's just that the coolant flows pretty quickly and is pretty equal in temp throughout the system. Any gains or losses in between the two ports isn't going to be much. I have my SW gauge in that rear port and it gives me readings that appear to be very accurate. However if it does bother whomever is doing it, just do it the way CLB is talking about, move the overtemp sensor to the rear port and stab the gauge into the front. I tried it on my 6.9 and there's plenty of wire in the harness to do the move without any mods.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
That's funny. Pretty sure that's what I used.
And on all the other square heads. :dunno

No, that cannot work, a 12 point is two 6 points. Only 6 or 12 groves can be used at a time. A 6 point is a hexagon so you would not be able to use just 4 points of the polygon. An eight point is two four points, so there are 2 sets of 4 sides that'll match up to a square.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Or a weatherhead socket. They are made for elbows and square plugs

Interesting, I've never heard of those before. Unusual looking critter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORNWELL-TO...1605039709&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

I wonder how useful they'd be? A quick search and it sounds like it's mostly used in ag.

Here's a few random 9/16 8 points if anyone is looking for one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grey-Pneuma...69414139?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item20cc78acfb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cra...711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad96a6dd7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAC-Tools-V...1128708319&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't know. That's just what I've used. Lol
Looks like craftsman has some 8 points.