Side View Mirror-swing lock-bottom mount???????????????HELP!!!

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Ok, my mirrors are unsightly due to the brackets that mount them to the door rusting and leaving streaks down the doors. I have no problem finding aftermarket mirrors but NONE of them are bottom mount. Every site I find them say there were two types of swing lock style mirror:

Ones with mounting screws ABOVE the bracket are common.

Ones with mounting screws BELOW the bracket-RARE!!!

Where can I find this animal or are the others in any way adaptable WITHOUT leaving an exposed hole(s)????

Can you just buy new brackets, gaskets and mounting hardware? My mirrors themselves are fine.

Thanks!

kawamatt

Reaction score
Mirrors with the upper screws on the bottom of the bracket are what I think came factory on 92-97 pickups. The mirros with the upper screws on the top of the mounts I do not think are stock. See below for the two different types.
You must be registered for see images attach

Luckily, you can still get these new from Ford for $76 a piece. The right side mirror (convex glass) P/N is FOTZ17696A. The left side mirror (non-convex glass) P/N is FOTZ17696B. Search these part numbers on the net ( I use TascaParts.com) and order.

Both of these part numbers will actually come with the entire mirror, new "rivnuts" in the event you are moving from flag mount mirrors to this style, and a Ford engineering drawing with install instructions. I can't figure out how to upload a PDF or I would post the drawing.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
I will do that. And yes, the mirror on your truck is what I have. The mirror and folding part are in good shape, it is the the brackets that mount to the door that are FUBARD.

kawamatt

Reaction score
Yep, my backets were getting rusty as well. My drivers side on the lower pivot, the big rivet that allows the mirror to swing got loose and the mirror would rattle when I hit bumps or shut the door. Plus the chrome was rusting.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wish I could get the whole mirror and brackets in BLACK or Khaki or something Anything other than chrome/stainless/natural aluminum....I so hate chrome...
It's ok for other peoples vehicles...not mine

Did I mention how much I hate Chrome ????

Al

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wish I could get the whole mirror and brackets in BLACK or Khaki or something Anything other than chrome/stainless/natural aluminum....I so hate chrome...
It's ok for other peoples vehicles...not mine

Did I mention how much I hate Chrome ????

Al

a little steel wool and some 200 grit emery cloth and a can of flat blk (or whatever color you want) and no more chrome.

lilredtdi

Reaction score
So, I researched those numbers and can indeed find them. Texas Motors Ford has them for a good price. I called them instead of just ordering and the parts man says they are listed as "Top Mount" with the part numbers you supplied. Are you certin about those #'s???

Sucks something that seesm like it would be so cut and dry would be so dufficult.

Thanks again in advance.

kawamatt

Reaction score
100% positive. The bracket style that you want to avoid were never offered by Ford on 92-97' trucks. You want factory mirrors and those numbers are factory for a 97' f-series. The parts man you talked to prolly don't know his rear from hole in the ground about these old trucks. He was just reading off the description from the computer (and we all know bean counters likely put descriptions on parts in Ford's system). 100%

kawamatt

Reaction score
Go to TascaParts.com and enter that part number. You'll get a picture and everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.