Show us what you tow!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Dad and I collect IH Cub Cadet tractors… and we now have 10 IH Cub Cadets…. They are all runners… and workers…. They work year around…. Dad still mows with his 782… and we push snow, till and moldboard plow gardens….. move stuff around….

Last year I swapped mowing duties to my brand new Cub Cadet ULTIMA ZT1 54” Zero turn. I love it for mowing… but there was a learning curve. I still have the deck for the 1450 I have here (took the rest to Mom and Dad’s) and can have it mowing in less than 10 minutes….. but I then go from 30 minutes mowing, to 1.5 hours…. I’m wanting to take my ZTR over to my parents and see how fast I can mow it…. LOL

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Brad,

Yes, Dad and I try to keep up on our stuff… LOL. That is a Cronkite that my late uncle had custom built. It is the heaviest trailer he could get without brakes (not sure why he didn’t want one with brakes), so it has a legal max weight of I think 3000 or 3500 lbs. it tows really nice, and that picture was taken about 250 miles from home at my M-I-L’s in Kentucky. We have had 4 Cub Cadet’s on there (no attachment or mower) and it towed well.

I’m actually thinking about replacing my trailer. I use a set of ramps with it, because I do not like the feeling when the bed tips to allow unloading…. It is a 2ish foot drop when it tilts. I’m wanting to get a smaller trailer that has a lower deck and a built in ramp, something like this….

You must be registered for see images attach

A bit easier on me…. And a nicer trailer. I would love to go to something bigger, that I could haul a vehicle on… but it would have to be stored at my parents 120 miles away…. I couldn’t store it here…..

I guess you would hate to hear I gave $75 for that Smapper a few years ago…..

Well happy for you that you got if for cheap! Who know's maybe I will get lucky too!

Try Tractor Supply for that style of trailer, my local one sells trailers like that and they are well priced.

FYI they seem to also go on sale for holidays like 4th, T-Day(Maybe it was Black Friday.), and X-mas/New Years.

Yes seems like we should start building homes with 4 car garages on a decent sized property. Then you would have room for your cars, toys, trailers, and such. VS a postage stamp property like mine and having to pay hundreds a month to store it all.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
You got to come to the north east. You can usually pick up one of those snappers for under $200 because nobody wants them anymore. There used to be 3 snapper dealers within like 20 miles, now there is one and I have only seen 2 of the mowers left in the area. Everyone has moved to zero turns or compact tractors. I don't even see too many lawn tractors anymore. I have always liked wheel horses, and I picked up a 252h for the tight areas for $175 (everything works) from a collector that had over 300 lawn/garden tractors and was "thinning the herd". That one has it's place, and so does the ford cm224 front mount. I have put a lot of hours on Gravely zero turns, and a couple front mount mower's (all diesel), and hands down, the front mount is 100x easier to service, more comfortable, gets close and under trees and stuff, and has a better cut. They aren't as fast as the zero turns, but it also doesn't beat you to death going over the smallest bump. They are a lot more affordable as well. Just something to check out if it fits the bill. I wouldn't trade the front mount for a zero turn unless I was doing it for a living and needed the extra speed.

Rock

Farmer Rock,

I actually have a second home in Maine and eventually need to buy a vehicle to tow my canoe trailer. I have to rent full size SUV's since the rental companies cannot order without a hitch. But now with Covid they want $1,500 a week for the big SUV! Maybe a IDI in Maine is in my future!

However with cost of buying, depreciation, maintenance (Including paying my caretaker to drive it from time to time.), insurance, having to deal with repairs (VS Vacationing.), cab/uber/airport van ride to and from, etc., etc. We have decided renting 4 weeks a year is still more cost effective till we can retire and use the home for more than a quick summer vacation and the occasional weekend when I travel East for work.

However not so much in Maine, but to your point, I do see deal-o-rama in the North East. Especially in MA, CT, and VT on CL, Offerup, and Facebook! I worked for a couple of years for a Boston based company. A few times I picked up used equipment in MA before I drove up to ME for the weekend. Generally I could find what I needed in the greater Boston area for less than in ME. So yes you are spot on, lots of ride on’s, yard equipment, off road toys, water toys, etc., for cheap in the North East!

Yes many do not know Snapper has become eXmark and sells some cheaper Snapper branded pro-summer stuff which has dropped in quality. I picked up a new version of the Snapper mower with all the bells and whistles for my home in ME at Walmart on clearance for half off a few years ago. (Same price as a basic Yard Machines mower new.) Still nicely made but not the bullet proof monsters of yester year.

No surprise there are fewer lawn mower shops with big box stores selling them for less or better warranties. If they did not struggle already, now with all these battery operated mowers, edger’s, chain saws, and such it's going to be a bigger struggle. Here in Southwest many in the cities have outsource to a yard service as there is a lot of competition so prices are cheap. Also the yards in the city are small so not much to mow, trim, and blow. Thus $15-30 a week. So now instead of 40 folks buying a mower every 5-7 years, 1 guy buys one every two and mows say 40 yards a week!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with the ramp-style trailers is the ramp catches a TON of wind.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Dad and I collect IH Cub Cadet tractors… and we now have 10 IH Cub Cadets…. They are all runners… and workers…. They work year around…. Dad still mows with his 782… and we push snow, till and moldboard plow gardens….. move stuff around….

Last year I swapped mowing duties to my brand new Cub Cadet ULTIMA ZT1 54” Zero turn. I love it for mowing… but there was a learning curve. I still have the deck for the 1450 I have here (took the rest to Mom and Dad’s) and can have it mowing in less than 10 minutes….. but I then go from 30 minutes mowing, to 1.5 hours…. I’m wanting to take my ZTR over to my parents and see how fast I can mow it…. LOL

Awesome you and your dad have a hobby together! Those are tough little yard tractors.

I agree zero turn is the way to go, but my dad is 80 and equipment is just not his thing. He still thanks me for finding him a single pull start lawnmower. (B&S 6.5hp on a Yard Machine high rear wheel mower. Pretty much starts with one pull, secret is I give him Tru-Fuel, so the carb never clogs.) Says he hated gas mowers of the past because they were always hard to start. I have also thought about offering his neighbor (Likes to tinker and have his lawn mowed a certian way.) a zero turn if he would mow both! He mows the part next to him a small patch on the right side of the driveway most weeks (Unless my dad beats him to it.) so it matches with his lawn. It still would be faster to mow both with a zero turn than mowing his and part of my dad's with a walk behind. My dad's other neighbor likes to mow his lawn with a reel mower, says he likes the excercise.

Last two years in Maine, a local antique dealer has had a Farmall Cub by IH. Stopped by to see it one day. If my house in ME was in the country I would of just bought it as a impulse buy. Super cool old school looking! Not too big, and yet still an effective lawn mower and small use yard tractor.

I have thought for years it would be fun to have an old farm tractor and do some parade pulling every year! But too much going on with work, kids, and the toys I have, for another toy or hobby. Maybe down the road.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I towed some junk yesterday, but not in the op's sense , more thread drift than anything to see if they chime in.:flipa

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Catbird7,

Wow really nice truck! Straight, clean, and mean!

Trailer looks great too!

Guessing your backhoe makes quick of work of maintenance around the property!

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Farmer Rock,

I actually have a second home in Maine and eventually need to buy a vehicle to tow my canoe trailer. I have to rent full size SUV's since the rental companies cannot order without a hitch. But now with Covid they want $1,500 a week for the big SUV! Maybe a IDI in Maine is in my future!

However with cost of buying, depreciation, maintenance (Including paying my caretaker to drive it from time to time.), insurance, having to deal with repairs (VS Vacationing.), cab/uber/airport van ride to and from, etc., etc. We have decided renting 4 weeks a year is still more cost effective till we can retire and use the home for more than a quick summer vacation and the occasional weekend when I travel East for work.

However not so much in Maine, but to your point, I do see deal-o-rama in the North East. Especially in MA, CT, and VT on CL, Offerup, and Facebook! I worked for a couple of years for a Boston based company. A few times I picked up used equipment in MA before I drove up to ME for the weekend. Generally I could find what I needed in the greater Boston area for less than in ME. So yes you are spot on, lots of ride on’s, yard equipment, off road toys, water toys, etc., for cheap in the North East!

Yes many do not know Snapper has become eXmark and sells some cheaper Snapper branded pro-summer stuff which has dropped in quality. I picked up a new version of the Snapper mower with all the bells and whistles for my home in ME at Walmart on clearance for half off a few years ago. (Same price as a basic Yard Machines mower new.) Still nicely made but not the bullet proof monsters of yester year.

No surprise there are fewer lawn mower shops with big box stores selling them for less or better warranties. If they did not struggle already, now with all these battery operated mowers, edger’s, chain saws, and such it's going to be a bigger struggle. Here in Southwest many in the cities have outsource to a yard service as there is a lot of competition so prices are cheap. Also the yards in the city are small so not much to mow, trim, and blow. Thus $15-30 a week. So now instead of 40 folks buying a mower every 5-7 years, 1 guy buys one every two and mows say 40 yards a week!
I am just wondering, why couldn't you drive your IDI to Maine and back? I realize that is a bit of a trip for an old truck, but it shouldn't take much to get it to that point of reliability if not already, and would be a whole lot cheaper than the alternatives.

Rock

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Farmer Rock,

I do think it would likely make it with little to no issue. I try to keep up on issues and the maintenance.

But I have some challenges getting in the way -

I live in Socal so its a 5 day trip each way. Because I work I only get two weeks off a year. (Busy years sometimes less.) So I would spend 10 days driving round trip (If I did 9-10 hours a day.) and only have 4 days to vacation.

But the part that would kill it even if I wanted to, my F250 is a crew cab with the smaller jump seat in the back. Not a super crew 4 door with a regular bench seat. My teenage kids are now 5'8' and 6'-2" so all I would hear is my legs hurt can we pull over every couple of hours.

But to your point if we were empty nesters, retired, and going for a month or two, driving the IDI would meet all the criteria and save a few bucks along the way.

All the best.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Farmer Rock,

FWIW next time you need a rental check out enterprise truck rental. You can rent a crew cab F250 XLT for about $750/ week and they are 100% ok with towing. They may not be at the airport, but worth checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Farmer Rock,

I do think it would likely make it with little to no issue. I try to keep up on issues and the maintenance.

But I have some challenges getting in the way -

I live in Socal so its a 5 day trip each way. Because I work I only get two weeks off a year. (Busy years sometimes less.) So I would spend 10 days driving round trip (If I did 9-10 hours a day.) and only have 4 days to vacation.

But the part that would kill it even if I wanted to, my F250 is a crew cab with the smaller jump seat in the back. Not a super crew 4 door with a regular bench seat. My teenage kids are now 5'8' and 6'-2" so all I would hear is my legs hurt can we pull over every couple of hours.

But to your point if we were empty nesters, retired, and going for a month or two, driving the IDI would meet all the criteria and save a few bucks along the way.

All the best.
I can definitely see your points, and I figured there were obvious reasons that I just wasn't aware of. You got to get a 4 door crew cab now,lol

Rock

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove that 1987 F350 to Maine last year two times. 2nd trip was deer hunting season and it hauled a 2000lb (estimate) slide in camper. Only got (if memory serves) 11 mpg! Zero problems. I realize that's not even close to "coast to coast" however these trucks can definitely be made reliable.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
FWIW next time you need a rental check out enterprise truck rental. You can rent a crew cab F250 XLT for about $750/ week and they are 100% ok with towing. They may not be at the airport, but worth checking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct, great deal.

I have been doing so for about 8 years. If we are towing out of state we have rented these for our Jeep or snowmobiles. Most of the time I can also reserve a diesel. Started using them after Enterprise locally said two Christmas's in a row said, sorry the renter never returned that Suburban you reserved. But we have this little Honda Pilot you can take the family skiing in instead! Got a little pissy the second time around, figured it was like the airlines, they just overbooked and tried to weasel out of it. So had a little talk with the manager about 2 times in a row is not ok! He told me for less money I could get into a F250 if I was willing to across town and pick it up. Best part is these are laying around at the holidays (Unlike full size SUV's.) as generally only rented by businesses.

They used to do unlimited miles, now they do limited. Last I checked it was 500mi a week. But they will up the miles if you discuss prior to renting. But not willing to do much once you drive off.

They also a couple years ago started asking if you are towing, if you say yes, they charge another $10 or $15 a day. To TNBrett's point they don't care if you tow, its just a way to squeeze you a little more.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
I drove that 1987 F350 to Maine last year two times. 2nd trip was deer hunting season and it hauled a 2000lb (estimate) slide in camper. Only got (if memory serves) 11 mpg! Zero problems. I realize that's not even close to "coast to coast" however these trucks can definitely be made reliable.

Catbird7,

Once you go through them and get these set up they are very reliable. (My truck has never left me stranded on the side of the side of the road.) Compared with modern diesels there is so much less to break or go wrong. I would feel I could take my truck on a long trip and get back. That I could fix most issues less a major engine or tranny issue on the side of the road if needed. (I carry a tool bag on most trips.)

Also my 88' 2wd F250 is way more comfortable to drive hour after hour than the new F250 Super Crew long bed 4x4's. They ride so stiff that your body feels every bump, crack, and hole in the road. My lower back is always stiff after a couple of hours of driving a newer F250 rental truck. But not in my older F250.

Just know if you were getting 11mpg in your IDI you would of been getting probably 8mpg with a 460ci gasser! So you still were saving money and towing harder!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online