Should I buy this zf5

teach

Reaction score
I found a guy who has several zf5 transmissions for sale. He is asking $500 for known good ones and $200 for ones he thinks are bad. None of them have grander cases or clutch/fly wheels. $500 seems a little steep to me is this a decent price?

My truck has a c6 now. Would the transfer case from it fit a zf5?

Also my brother has a junk 92 f150 could I use the clutch linkage from it?

Thanks in advance

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is he asking for a core charge as well? $500 is fairly standard from what I've seen, but pretty good if it is KNOWN to be good, and there's usually a core charge on top of that that's usually $250-$350 on average from what I've seen.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I've paid anywhere from $300-$600 for ZF5 with no case damage and turn smooth in all gears. $500 is a fair price. Consider a reman will cost you $1200-$1500 maybe plus a core charge too. My threshold for buying used vs new is half the price of new. So for me I'll pay up to $600 for a ZF in good condition.

teach

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. These are used ones, I am guessing he bought a bunch at an auction or something so no core charge. I am trying to decide if I want to jump into it. What all will I need to do the swap besides the obvious clutch linkage? Also will a transfercase off a c6 fit the zf5?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C6 t-case should bolt to a 4x4 ZF. They were all the same pattern etc. as far as I know. Pedal assembly will not be the same for a 92 as a 88. F150 to F250 shouldn't matter but the years do. You would also probably need the right master and slave cylinder. Half tons I think used concentric slaves on the 5 speeds.

EDIT: Also make sure they are diesel ZFs or you will have to mod the bolt pattern to fit the 7.3. It can be done and has been documented but it is an additional step/hassel on a swap.

teach

Reaction score
C6 t-case should bolt to a 4x4 ZF. They were all the same pattern etc. as far as I know. Pedal assembly will not be the same for a 92 as a 88. F150 to F250 shouldn't matter but the years do. You would also probably need the right master and slave cylinder. Half tons I think used concentric slaves on the 5 speeds.

EDIT: Also make sure they are diesel ZFs or you will have to mod the bolt pattern to fit the 7.3. It can be done and has been documented but it is an additional step/hassel on a swap.

These are from diesels they guy I am talking to about them said they came from powerstrokes. Here is a picture of what he is selling.
You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that is a Mazda M5OD transmission. Different animal.

That is correct. It was the same shift pattern and the shifter looks the same so some people confuse them. That's why I mentioned it. It was an internal concentric slave on those.

To the OP. That looks like it. PSD trans should work. When you pick one up look close at the bell housing for cracks especially up around where the slave clips on and the clutch fork comes out. Seems like that is a semi-common area for cracks to happen.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you buy it, you might want to search on what it takes for the changeover, it's not a small task.

teach

Reaction score
Before you buy it, you might want to search on what it takes for the changeover, it's not a small task.

That is my next step. I really would like to have a 5 speed but at the same time it is going to cost just as much as a HD rebuild of the C6. Do you have any good leads to research it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be as expensive but you still will not have overdrive. If you want to do it right, you need the pedal box, column, clutch safety switch, master and slave, trans, instrument cluster and that's about it. You don't absolutely have to have the cluster, column or safety switch for that matter. All depends on the level of completeness you are looking for. I think but, don't hold me to this that your factory driveshafts will be close enough if you are going from C6. The later E4DOA is a good bit longer if memory serves.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online