Short shifter - anyone using?

Breakin Loose

Reaction score
As I'm rowing away my shoulder joint, I'm wondering if anyone has installed and used the BD short shifter? Is there a big improvement in shifting? It looks like the shaft is bent towards the driver, how do you like the new position compared to stock?

Dodgeman101

Sled ******
Reaction score
Good and bad

I have the BD short shifter I like it for the most part but I have had more problems keeping it sealed to the trans, if I am racing and pushing it hard it seems to leak and I have to reseal it. But I do like the shorter throw and where the shifter is in 6th gear now it opens up room for getting to cup holder.

Dodgeman101

Diesel Freak

Reaction score
I am very happy with mine. I even added a Hurst "T" Handle and a little red switch so I can add another 100 HP on the fly!

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw Mike Ramos has one - It looks like a good addition to me. I've got a stack of radios front and center, I wonder if it would get in the way??

Stoked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ
I wonder if it would get in the way??

Shouldn't. All it does is shorten the throw between gears, so if anything the shifter wouldn't get as close to the radios as it does now. Unless, of course, I don't understand how your stuff is laid out.

cuda6pack

Reaction score
Ah, if I had to do it again, I would'nt have gotten one. Shifting isnt as smooth as I think it should be and the throw from gear to gear isnt that much different form stock. I would just save your money for something more worth while.

Venom

Testing Some Crap Out
Reaction score
A while back Heber ram had one of these on and he absolutely hated it. Could not get the thing to seal. I have since heard that it is only the early units that had this problem. I would like to hear some more feedback about these.

Breakin Loose

Reaction score
One of my friends just got one for his 2003 and installed it. He is loving it. The throw seems to be reduced by more than the advertised 20% if anything. One misunderstanding we had when he ordered it was, we thought that the shift stick position would be moved closer to the driver. At least in the 3rd gen 6-speeds, the shift stick stays in the same position, so only the distance between gears is changed. He took his shift stick to a shop in town and had them bend it in 2 places so that it does end up closer to his leg. Russ- there seems to no worry about it interfering with the radios; if anything it would give you more room. He also hasn't had any leak problems and was impressed by the quality of the product. I'm saving up for mine. :Thumbs Up

RRILEY

Reaction score
I have one still in the box. I did not think I would like it so never installed it. Figured Id just sell it and be done with it.

jvanwaardhuizen

Reaction score
short

I got one for Christmas, it seemed to help with distances.But it made it more difficult to get it in gear once in a great while when plowing. Good addition otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online