Shifter Knob Unglued

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is for a ZF5. Personally, I would suggest getting a new knob from Ford. They're not that expensive...then, stick the knob in a pot of water with a candy thermometer, heat the water up to 180 degrees F (82 C), let the knob sit at that temp for a few minutes so it's well and truly heat soaked, then take the knob out of the water, dry it off real quick, and set it in place on the lever as quickly as possible. As the knob cools off, it'll contract around the splines on the shift lever, and will form a very tight interference fit that will be next to impossible to take off unless you heat it back up.

This is actually how Ford describes the installation process for the gearshift knob...I did this with replacement knobs on my old T-19 lever, my transfer case lever, and the lever on my ZF, and in each case, the knob ends up being for all intents and purposes a permanent part of the shift lever (even over the course of 12 years in the case of the transfer case shift lever). FWIW, before I replaced the knob on my T-19, my uncle (the truck's previous owner) had tried gluing the old knob in place...it never worked for more than a few months.

FWIW...