Seriously considering

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Ok,someone either push me over the hump or hit the Yellow and red buttons on the dash before I crest this hill!I am seriously considering getting my CDL.I have worked in machining since I got out of school and am about totally fed up!I enjoy the work for a little while then totally HATE it.Mostly I hate having bosses be able to breath down my neck......and stuck inside a tin building year round.I enjoy taking a weekend off and just drive to new places in my small truck.If I could I would jump in the danger ranger or one of my other fleet of trucks(if they all ran that is!) and just drive as far as I could before I hit 50% of fuel funding!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have a class "A" CDL before health issues took it away from me. couple of things you will need to think about before you do go through the BS to get one...
one...are you TRULLY healthy? IE no blood pressure issues, diabetes, overwieght(precursor to the first two issues), and passing out?
two...if you do get into government transport, is your credit background clean or better than clean?
These two items will DQ more than 70% of the eligible CDL drivers out there. Withe those two checking out, you'll make some pretty good money out there. But mind you, if you have a wife and kids, you will not be making the top dollar as a cross country hauler.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
No history of Diabetes,or blood pressure but I am a slight lard ****(260-275Lbs).Passed out once but that was my own stupidity at work......Start getting dizzy,take a break ********!Single,No kids.......Good Credit.mid to high 600s,was mid 700s but had a little issue when gas prices hit 3 bucks and I was driving a 12MPG highway F250 60 miles a day round trip to work!

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Being a machinist and son of a truck driver, I can relate. Dad 75yrs old and semi retired (he quits when the snow starts to fly). Dad says, if you want to see the ugliest parts of the cities? become a driver. If you want to stay away from your family, and make a few $$$? become a OTR driver. If you want to be home and broke all the time? be a local driver. You don't want a boss breathing down you neck? Don't forget about the DOT, dispatchers, dock workers, shippers/recievers, 4 wheelers, and local LEO's. I've seen quite a few machinist turned drivers only to have the back in a few years, working in a "tin shack". Profesional driver? too many hassels. JMHO.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
I have my CDL, it's pretty easy to get for the most part. I've actually needed it a couple times, but beyond that it's "just in case".

I've thought if things went bad at work I'd try driving for a living. Most likely local stuff, but not sure what would happen. I know most guys complain that there is NO money.......but for some reason they still do it?? I complain about my job too, but I still show up every freak'n day!! It's all in what you want to put up with. I do like my bankers hours, but would I like driving better? Guess I'd have to try it to find out............ya never know.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you're young, single, plan on staying that way ( chances of meeting any decent prospects drops fast, along with your social standing once you hit the road ) and don't care if you ever get home, can pass on the $11 to sit in the booth at the fancy truck stop and eat the nuke burrito instead, and if you get lucky enough to hook up with an outfit that will keep you loaded and moving, you can put away some money.

As far as not having a boss looking over your shoulder, forget it. You'll have more people looking over your shoulder every second than ever. You even have to account for your time when not working.Most companies have satellite hookups now to where they can tell if you're on the side of the road letting the water out of the tires. And they'll constantly harrass you with messages over the satellite ( My brother in law used to really gripe about that one , sending messages freaking out about why he wasnt there yet...which required him to stop and loose 5 -10 miles running to respond to them cookoo , then the DOT climbing up your **** every time you turn around, and just wait till you have to start unloading on the east coast. the level of jerks and corruption that you have to deal with everyday is the kind of stuff your parents used to tell you was only on TV. The list goes on...

A lot of companies will have insurance available, but you will find that unlike most real companies, the truck companies don't pay much or any of it, so if you opt for the health insurance, you may come home from 2 weeks on the road owing them money.

See the country...somewhat true. At one point I could wake up in a sleeper and tell you where I was by the bumps and wiggles in the road, but as far as tourist spots, you can pretty well forget it. You get lucky once in a while , but unless you are with a small company that will let you take a little side trip if you pay the fuel , or your own truck , you end up spending your layovers in a nasty truck stop. At one point I was making a regular run to Jersey, same place for over a year. didn't even realize until I went there at 3 am that I was driving right past the Statue of Liberty every week, but had never seen it because I was fighting traffic.

Local jobs that get you home every night don't pay anything. The companies know that everyone wants to be home at night and they pay accordingly. they know someone will drive it for the price . I went to one local interveiw about 18 years ago,ad just said great pay they wanted min 6 years experience, perfect record, etc, I drive 60 miles to apply, theres a room full of guys filling out applications for one position. I started to fill it out , then I went to the girl at the desk and politely asked her what the pay was. She told me....minimum wage, no benefits. just about everyone in the room stopped writing. I rather abruptly forced my way into the boses office, told him what I thought of him and his wasting my time, and stomped out folowed by most of the rest....a few of them still wanted that job. Kind of puts it in perspective.
After you see about the tenth guy siting in a truckstop at 3 am crying over pictures of his kids, you can understand why someone would take the job.

The folks who come out of trucking OK are the ones who have made their money doing something else and get into it for the short term. They are the ones you generally see with the really big fancy sleepers.

I have over 1.5 million miles pushing those things, some company trucks, some as O/O until a loading dock accident a bunch of years back where a 300 pound chunk of steel went through my skull and my body has fallen apart worse from a rhumatic disorder since. I can barely stand riding in my pickup now, so I'll never get back in one ( beside, with the kind of pills I have to take now, they'd never let me )

Most people who go into trucking from something else only last between 1 -3 years before they go back to what they were doing before.

If that isn't enough to talk you out of it, have at it :D

----------Robert

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
After you see about the tenth guy siting in a truckstop at 3 am crying over pictures of his kids, you can understand why someone would take the job.

I think you're painting an unfair picture of this industry. It's rough at times but I've never seen anybody crying in a truckstop because they want to be home. And most of the large truckstops nowadays are not nasty by any means. The mom & pop truckstops are hit or miss, but usually they're OK too. If your company keeps you on the road so long your crying over pictures, it's time to find a new company or line of work.

The folks who come out of trucking OK are the ones who have made their money doing something else and get into it for the short term. They are the ones you generally see with the really big fancy sleepers.

I went into trucking from a rollback/wrecker business & had VERY little "up front" money to get going. Financed 100% of the first truck & used the little money to buy necessary items & things. It is doing very well at this point (7 years later) & I'm not in it for the short term either. I'm 35 years old & plan to retire from this industry someday. I've got 2 big fancy sleepers to date.

I have over 1.5 million miles pushing those things, some company trucks, some as O/O until a loading dock accident a bunch of years back where a 300 pound chunk of steel went through my skull and my body has fallen apart worse from a rhumatic disorder since. I can barely stand riding in my pickup now, so I'll never get back in one ( beside, with the kind of pills I have to take now, they'd never let me )

I'm not trying to bust your balls man, but you sound seriously disgruntled & if I understand what you said, have been away from the industry for a while. It's not that bad. Money is up & trucking company's are dying for good drivers. If you're good you'll make money, if your a steering wheel jockey you won't. You get out what you put in, just like anything else. If your company is abusing you, move on to another one.

Most people who go into trucking from something else only last between 1 -3 years before they go back to what they were doing before.

It is without a doubt one of the roughest industries to carve out a living from, especially as an O/O, but it can be & is done all the time. Most of my friends got into it the same time I did & we all came from other lines of work & are still here & happy 7 years later. The hours can be lousy (& I'm an O/O) but you have to plan on that sometimes. Now there are days where I just decide I'm NOT working & stay home to play with the kiddies, work on the house, etc.... I wouldn't think of doing anything else. Just a postive outlook to consider.....even though it's from a "traitor"LOL

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm not trying to bust your balls man, but you sound seriously disgruntled & if I understand what you said, have been away from the industry for a while.

Yes I've been away for a while, but not disgruntled. I actually did quite well out there aside from a few bad experiences that I had to walk away from ( and one crook I was leased to that I lost a truck and over 20 grand over, turned out the FBi had been after the guy for over 20 years...last time I checked, he was operating yet another trucking company. If I saw the jerk today, I'd probably thank him, after that I hooked up with a small company that treated drivers like kings and made very good money with them for a bunch of years till I wanted to move.
If my body would ,let me, I'd be back in one in a heartbeat. I've always had a serious traveling jones and been an insomniac....job description for cross country driving :D But I have seen all of the above and believe it's important for people to realize the downside before jumping in. Before I started ( and I was driving a straight truck local in CA doing well ) I asked all kinds of guys and they all would sing the praises of how good they were doing.....a year later I run into the same guys out on the road and they are all singing the blues. I realized that most people don't want anyone to know that they aren't doing well and have a habit of painting a rather rosy picture to those outside the industry ( understandable ) but when you pull up in a truck , you finally get the truth.

One thing I found is most of the folks with those really nice trucks and are living easy and playing rolling tourist , made their money doing something else and instead of driving a truck, got a second on their house to get the truck, stay on the road for 2-3 years while quick depreciating the equipment at tax time and sell out of it, they come out so far ahead it's not even funny. It's great for them, but it does paint a picture of unreal expectations for someone coming in off the street to think they can drive for company x and work their way into one of those rolling castles in a couple of years.

It's great that you can finance trucks with 100% financing, but without a previous business or good conections, that doesn't happen for most. Usual channels are providing a 2 year profit and loss statement from existing business to talk to the load officer ( don't have one, no truck loan ) or have enough money to plop down to make them smile,or go through one of the cheesy lease to buy outfits where you basically buy a job( except for a few decent outfits ) or go out and drive for wages.

At least most of the company trucks out there these days are alot more comfortable than they used to be.
*EDIT, I thought you were someone else, sorry, you're not in CA, but you are in a niche market, which makes a big difference *
With you being out in California and running regional, you are a bit isolated from the rest of the situation. Ca managed to fend off most of de-regulation when it happened, that means people still have to actiually pay you for your services out there, not so with the rest of the country ( I learned that lesson the hard way, I started out in CA,and quickly found the rest of the country doesnt work that way, however the 7 western state region still has a lot of the old influence ...I should have stayed out there I made seriously good money out there )
My Brother in law started driving about 6 years ago ( I tried to talk him out of it ) He ran for a few national companies, got the usual treatment, landed a local job in CA with JB hunt hauling pigs from the rail yard that was pretty sweet, due to california laws. ( although the main office was always trying to do the kind of things to them that are legal in Arkansas at the home office, and had to be regularly reminded) unfortunately, they have recently found their way around many of the protections in CA law and it's getting to where he's working his hind end off for not much there too. Since he's established with them , but now making Arkansas wages in CA, they're considering moving to another state with lower cost of living and staying with them. Where they live , options are limited for staying.

Personaly, I don't know how they do it now. When I stopped, I was complaing about plate lunches in this area going up to $4. Company drivers aren't making much more per mile now, but sit down food has got rediculous on price and with all the computers and satellite tracking, they cant run the kind of miles that we used to run without getting in trouble. I've done the math, there's no way to make the kind of money I used to make now.

And yes, I have seen plenty of guys crying over pictures of their kids, more than I care to remember . The ones that wanted to talk, always the same one of two stories, either the company has had them out for 2 months plus and cant manage to find a load that goes past their house and they can't get anough of an advance out of them for a bus ticket( *cough -Werner-cough-schnider-cough* :rolleyes: or an o/o trying to make truck and house payments by themself and can't afford the detour.
I've personally bought more than one bus ticket to help someone out.

Getting established in that game is definetly for single folks or couples without kids.

---------Robert

Last edited:

pafixitman

Reaction score
The guy that hit me last year ran for Krista out of Canada. He exchanged info while fueling his truck at the truck stop and via his in cab sat. system Krista had already been informed he was in an accident. Too much time crunch and "big brother" for me. (BTW-Great company to deal with directly on the damage. 4 days from estimate to check in my hand.)

I think you both have valid points. Scott and I have had some very frank discussions so I know probably a bit more than most. I have to agree with Robert that from where I am sitting, Scott does not have the normal trucking job. He has done very well for his clients and is reaping the rewards of repeat business and word of mouth referrals. I think that is a big point that is lost even on O/O. If you are hauling freight, as long as the freight is delivered by the promised date, no body really cares. It is more about the bottom line $$ to ship. If you are hauling used cars, making sure they get to the auction, sales lot etc. with no damage, all books, keys etc. is a bit different.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Exactly.
If I wanted to be irrisponsible, I could tell the guy about how we found a farm we wanted to buy and I went out and pushed it and had a nice big down payment for the guy in about a month ( didn't have anything saved up because we were too busy blowing it all on toys and horses and lavish vacations ).
I could.....But those kinds of jobs are few and far between. That's just not what the average guy is likely to find , especially just starting out.

--------Robert

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Exactly.
If I wanted to be irrisponsible, I could tell the guy about how we found a farm we wanted to buy and I went out and pushed it and had a nice big down payment for the guy in about a month ( didn't have anything saved up because we were too busy blowing it all on toys and horses and lavish vacations ).
I could.....But those kinds of jobs are few and far between. That's just not what the average guy is likely to find , especially just starting out.

--------Robert

OK, I'll give you the fact that I'm in a niche market. And my situation is not what a new comer is likely to find. But, I WORKED HARD to get where I am now. I'm young ("new school" according to many of the "old timers" on the road now) & work my freakin' ass off to be able to have what I want & do what I want. Most people my age in trucking don't want to do that anymore, everybody wants the 600HP Condo loaded up from the time they sign on without proving themselves as an asset. You have to show your worth to be treated properly. I'm just assuming Freight is that type of person & would do well. The other side of the equation is working for good people, O/O or company driver. My driver is slow as hell but he's careful & works hard. He's paid very well, drives the '07 (while I'm in the '04), gets home or off when he needs to be, & I worked Thanksgiving nite, Christmas nite, New years Eve, & I shut it all down for New Years Day & the day after so he could have a good holiday. If you take care of your people, they will take care of you. I've always been that way with my employees because I was someone else's employee & got **** on from time to time. I know what it's like & try very hard to avoid those feeling in my people. Maybe working for a smaller company is the answer.

I took a second mortgage on my house to expand my business & don't regret doing it. I, like you, blow money on toys & fast food & everything else most people **** it away on. But if I do that, I find some way to make it up (run another load). Not always, but 90% of the time I will cover the money I pissed away. I'm not rich by any means nor will I ever be, but I'm careful with my money for the most part. You have to be & that applies to O/O or company drivers.

I agree with you that this is a very hard way to make a living, all I'm saying is it can be done. I'm not painting a rosy picture. This sucks sometimes & I would like to be a firefighter again. But most of the time it's pretty good. I could do without the $14,000.00 fuel bill every month, but you have to account for that & know what your getting into. I just don't understand how a man would stay with a company that would abuse the **** out of them when there are so many companies looking for drivers.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freight,

Driving has it's ups and downs, I miss it and I don't miss it if you know what I mean.

Best advice I can give you is if you are married sit down with the wife and discuss it together and make the decision together. Good communication and the willingness to sacrifice are IMHO the keys to a successfull marriage if you have a job that keeps you away for days, weeks or months at a time such as driving OTR or being in the military etc......

Driving schools are expensive but many community colleges also have the courses. Myself I went to a company that had their own school....did that twice, last time I was off the road for 5 years on active duty back in the 90's and got back into it when I got out. It's the cheapest way to go if there are still companies with their own schools out there and even if you do quit before the contracted employment is up it's still much cheaper than the other driving schools out there by far.

I sincerely wish you luck with whatever you decide, you'll only get out of it what you put into it.;Sweet

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Scott does not have the normal trucking job. He has done very well for his clients and is reaping the rewards of repeat business and word of mouth referrals. I think that is a big point that is lost even on O/O. If you are hauling freight, as long as the freight is delivered by the promised date, no body really cares. It is more about the bottom line $$ to ship. If you are hauling used cars, making sure they get to the auction, sales lot etc. with no damage, all books, keys etc. is a bit different.

This sorta goes along with the niche thing & I'm not the norm, but if you want to get into trucking, look for a company that hauls a specialty of some sort. Haz Mat pays more & it's a 15 minute test for the endorsement on your licsense. Obviously there is some studying involved to pass the test but it will open up alot more doors for you. Military & oversived haulers make more per mile than the norm too. Not a starter position with oversized stuff but Landstar Ranger is always looking for drivers & they are a big military carrier. The money is out there. You just need to concentrate in the right places. Explosives also pay big, obvious hazards though.

Or.... look into car hauling. Company union guys average about 60-75,000 a year. They get paid for everything they do. By this I mean if they have to wait to load, they get paid standby time. If they have to offload a car to get to the one coming off at that stop, they get paid to offload & reload the vehicle, no matter how many times they have to do it. It's nuts what they get paid for. Now, SWIFT owns a car carrier company: Blue Thunder & has there own school. No experience required. It's not for everyone but only you can decide that for yourself. Money is good but weather can be a real MF'er. Alot of the car hauling jobs paying that money are local hauls (home every nite). I think you need to do a long run & a short run 5 days a week. Long runs are about 150-300 miles & short runs are 1- 150 miles. Seniority plays into who gets what but still enough to go around. Might have to take some **** runs in the beginning but you work your way up & then things get good. BELIEVE ME, I've thought about shutting down on more than one occassion to do it myself. Just don't think I could go back to having someone tell me what to do. But if things get really bad suddenly, I'll be banging on some of those doors for sure.

KingRanch

Reaction score
KingRanch

Driving like any other job is all in what YOU make of it. I have a college degree, but enjoy driving (always have). I enjoy meeting people, seeing the sights, and visiting all the places others only dream of. Yes, the weather can be a ******, b-u-t so can traffic, stupid dispatchers (that have never been in a truck), ego-crazed police or D.O.T., etc., etc., etc. BUT, bottom-line: it's all in what YOU make of it. If you can admire the large feather-like Idaho snow flakes, as you try to stay ahead of a cripling blizard, or if you can take in the beauty of a golden-orange Atlanta sunrise, knowing that you are 30 minutes and 68 miles from your delivery time, and the 'morning comute' on I-20 has begun,.............then you will do fine.
There will be days (or nights) you will want to beat your head against the steering wheel and s-c-r-e-a-m. Then there will also be days where you will be cruising along some forgotten stretch of 'scenic highway', the windows down, the radio blasting, and all you can think is: "Thank you Lord!! Thank you GOD!! Man this is great!!" There will be good. There will be bad. Take it all in stride. Live it, love it, and take it ONE day at a time.

One piece of advice: Please place a reasonably firm pillow between your head and the steering wheel BEFORE initiating the beating sequence.;Sweet

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online