Serious problem....?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Hi guys, haven't posted in a while, hope everyones been good!

So on my 91 club wagon, recently did a full tune up.

New injectors (brand new, not reman) and new IP.

Did this about 3 weeks - month ago, already put on about 3k on them, and just this passed weekend I did a 900 mile trip vacation and on the last 400 miles, hauled a big 460 extended van I bought for parts.

About 3 hours from home, when I got off the hwy for fuel, noticed a really bad shake at idle and miss fire. Engine sounds fine and healthy, only way to tell it's missing is by how bad it shakes, or if you put your hand in front of the exhaust.

Drove home like that, and just diagnosed it now, found fuel sipping out of injector line #5. I taught ok, just a loose line, tighten it, fire up, no change.

Now with engine running, if I loosen the line, engine smooths out.... no smoke from exhaust at all, just a light puff of black upon start up like it has always done.

I replaced that one injector with another brand new one.....no change? It's puking fuel like it should when I crack it open, but engine only smooths out when it's cracked open?

The hell can this be? Stuck valve or...???

Thanks guys!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pop your valve cover off and check for a broken rocker or valve spring.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dreaded passenger side valve cover removal on a van!
dun dun dunnn

Let us know how it goes.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
dun dun dunnn

Let us know how it goes.
Not to bad, remove driver side motor mount and rock the engine towards the left. You think idi is bad, try removing one on a 6.0 in a van, or even a 6.6 duramax powered van

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The lines MUST HAVE THE CLAMPS on them or lines crack. If the replacement injector leaked the same them it must be the line. Remember these lines on the van are the same other than the number 1 and 4 lines. Number one on the trucks is shorter for the timing adapter we never use. Same timing adapter is on the Van number 4 line. But we can use those lines on either engine if you just move the timing adapter around.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
No the line does not leak, it was just sweating when I found it, tighten it stopped leaking but didn't change anything, still idled really rough. Smooths out if I crack it open.

If I crack open any other line, makes it run even worse.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to bad, remove driver side motor mount and rock the engine towards the left. You think idi is bad, try removing one on a 6.0 in a van, or even a 6.6 duramax powered van

That makes me feel alot better,and yea you're so right. We've got it easy compared to the other guys, I couldn't even imagine working on a newer PSD van, I'd be paying a mechanic!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
So I have the valve cover just popped off dar enough I can see inside, everything looks normal, nothing missing or broken, just got the 4 injectors left to remove then I'll be able to slide it up and out completely.

I fired it up with no air cleaner just before taking things apart and wow it's got a nasty loud thumping sound coming out the intake.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dun dun dunnn

Let us know how it goes.
Where do you guys find these vans. Not that I want one but I have only seen one in my life around here.

mbolton1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys find these vans. Not that I want one but I have only seen one in my life around here.

I got really lucky when mine popped up on CL, I had to drive 2 states away (luckily it was only a 4 hour drive each way and we turned it into a "mini-vacation" kinda deal) but it was well worth it. The diesel van market is really a tough one, any decent vans are usually over $3k in my area, luckily I snagged one for $800 that needed fairly minimal work. (Seller was told the IP was bad,when all it needed is some fuel olives,and some fuel return line replaced. It also smoked pretty bad whenever you floored it and that was the CDR valve.)

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Found the problem!

I got 3 blown lifters, all on the passenger side head.

#3 intake, #5 exhaust and #8 intake.

#8 is totally shot, takes barely any effort to push down the push rod.

#5, my problematic cylinder actually had the best lifter of the bad ones..... but that's the cylinder that was causing my shake... but that one is the exhaust one that was bad so I guess that's why?

Also found alot of silvery metallic stuff on the GP in #5, same thing as when I took my compression probe back out of #5 came out with alot of silvery metallic crap on it.... compression checked great? Should I worry about that?

Any recommendations for new quality lifters? I was thinking rock auto, full set.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
So finally got it all put back together, and while it runs somewhat better.....still a big miss fire, and it changed cylinder now. Moved one up closer to the front, still on passenger side, 2nd one down from front. Use to be the 3rd one down.

But problem also changed, use to run better with the injector line cracked open. Now I crack it open, and makes no difference how it runs.

Someone please tell me this HAS to be just an injector and no a pump problem.

On the plus side, no more thumping noises at all through the intake.

I will post pictures of the process later tonight or tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7