Schmokin!!!

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings. What happens if you're over on your oil fill by a quart or two? Does it cause oil to burn? I get this crazy smoking thing going on when I pull my 30 trailer at 60mph or so. With no trailer all seems fairly well but I can still smell an oil burn of sorts and nothing comes out of the tailpipe. Only other thing I can think of is that the rear drum brake shoes are rubbing on the drums slightly and smoking (the smell of that's not much different from the smell of burning oils). :dunno

mojoman

Reaction score
after a drive carefully check the wheels for heat...will tell ya if it is brake related...hth

mojo

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZF 5spd. Good tip on the wheel heat check. Thanks, I'll try that next time I rip up the road with it. I can also clearly see the downpipe has to go...she could use more punch in da pants.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb reply, but are you sure you aren't burning off oil/grease on the block that may have been spilled or built up? With the added strain of the trailer you may be building up more heat than usual thus causing the burning of dinosaur remains that wouldn't occur under "normal" operating conditions. Anywho, if you overfill your oil level you risk the chance of blowing some seals (you knew this already) and burning more than she needs to. Take a bucket, a minute, and make it right.

Last edited:

Mutley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a dumb reply. I'm a ******* for not having done that in the first place in stead of asking. Doing that today and thanks for the kick in the pants wake up call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online