scary sound

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
The van has been running well for the past month or so. After rebuilding the motor and putting it in I had a whole bunch of stuff to debug and fiddle with until everything seemed to be running well.

Air in the fuel lines has been a real pain. I actually decided to take all of my fuel lines and replace them with stainless steel tubing and compression fittings. It's been a little pricey, but I'm hoping it pays off in the end with fewer air leaks and no worries about anything eating up plastic/rubber hoses with all the crap that I put in my fuel tank (WMO,WVO,ATF,JetA,etc.)

Anyway...it all seems to be working well, I have these flow sight windows installed so I can see how much air is being sucked in by my fuel pump and i haven't completely eliminated the air, but the van is running really well and it only seems to start showing bubbles at closer to full throttle.

With all of that said, my fuel pump is making this really loud clicking noise in time with the rpms only when i'm running diesel from the front tank. I'm assuming that there's is just a bigger air leak on this tank, because again, it only happens at higher throttle. Has anyone ever heard such a clicking noise before?

Also...I know everyone's going to ask why I haven't gotten a holly pump yet...but lets just put that aside for a sec cause I'm stubborn :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only run Holley pumps, and they generally make a noise variance when they are sucking air or building presure. Otherwise, it makes the same constant sound.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First question is are you running an electric pump or the factory lift pump. A bad noise from the factory lift pump could be serious. If its an e-pump, I'm not really sure, I've been through quite a few of them, Holley, Carter, Facet, they all have their own unique sound which varies with fuel pressure and other variables but I have never been able to hear any of them at higher RPMs, heck I can hardly hear the radio or my cell phone at higher Rs.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Compression fittings? This engines do rattle and shake so unless You use some like the ones used for brake lines this could be the cause of the air leak too.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
yeah I'm wondering about my choice of compression fittings. I may have to reinspect.

I'm talking about the factory lift pump making the noise...I guess I should change my oil right away and make sure there's no fuel in there huh?

This pump is bran new though. I guess that happens sometimes.

It's just that this stupid pump has got to be the most difficult thing to install and remove on the engine without taking the radiator off. I guess I'd rather not kill my motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin