safe glow plugs?

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know that the ideal ones are zd9's, but what other are safe to use?

the bosch ones are 80027 $8.49 at autozone

partsamerica has 2 different bosch part #'s listed for the 7.3, both are more money than autozone. 0250202-254 at $13.99 and 80027 at $9.99

i need to do it because my truck just about kills the batts try to start, and it has a new elect carter lift pump and all new return seals. and all of the gp need to be rewired, they have all been hacked on and spliced.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Berus really seem to be the best. I doubt that any glowplug other than the Johnson Controls crap(autojunks and crampions) would hurt your system or get stuck in the head. Personally in that situation, I would try to beg a few berus from some of these guys that stockpiled them cheap, and failing that, I'd buy a set of wellmans from MWFI or similiar or a set of SLM from cleaninjectors.com or similar. I know the SLMs won't burn up and swell as I accidentally had power to mine for more than 2 minutes, actually no one knows how long they were on. That was the first time I had them in so I don't know how effective they actually are, even though they ohm'd out right they never seemed to be quite right after that so a set of berus went in. It was an expensive lesson

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use the dual coil plugs for the 6.9, which use spade type terminals. You could also use slow glow plugs (AKA 12 volt) out of an early GM 5.7L, also using spade terminals.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I just love the Bosch Duraterm glowplugs on European diesels, they last for years and hundreds of thousands of miles , and when i first got my ford I decided to go against the collective wisdom, and not put Berus in and stuck a set of Bosch plugs in....BZZZZT WRONG !!!!!!-cuss :backoff :hail :hail :hail
Exactly one week later , while eating my crow, I was replacing them with a set of Beru plugs which stayed in for about a year till that engine came out and they were still good.

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so no to bosch's. i called a friend that works at a ford stealership, and the cheapest that he can get the berus for is $17 each. so i will look for some wellmans.

what does the international dealer sell ?

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and those wellmans are still 6v single coil right, or should i get the ones for 6.9 that are dual coil ?

Snowdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the ones I linked to. I've owned my truck since 1990 and it starts EVERY time. Manual glow plug button and Holly Red fuel pump.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those that Snowdiver listed are indeed Wellmans. If you have an 87 and later or have upgraded to the solid state controller, you need the 6v single element. If you have a 6.9 with the spade type plugs you want the dual coil plugs or the slow glow plugs GM AC Delco 12V, but they're not out of a 6.2 they're from an early 5.7. Use a 1979 Olds Delta 88 with a Diesel motor and that gives you the application. The International dealer usually has berus for around 10 bucks.

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i ordered the wellmans for my application. hopefully they help get the **** started:hail i called the int dealer and all they had was bosch at 21.99 each.

thanks for steering me the right way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online