?'s RE: Block Heater on 6.9

KFinn

Reaction score
Hello Knowledge gods! :hail

A question came up from someone I know and he has a 1986 F-250 with a diesel. He states that when he plugs the engine blocker heater into an outlet, it trips the breaker. It is a 20 amp breaker.

Any thoughts on why?

Also, he wants to know how hard it is to replace the heater himself.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what else is on that breaker is he using an extenston cord if so what size is it?
the block heater is not hard to change its located above the starter.

KFinn

Reaction score
I'll have to check with him. But does anyone know the specs/req's that the heater takes? So he can just try to stay within it? I am sure he is using an extension cord but not sure any details about it.

fellro86

Reaction score
Quite often the cord fails,it is simply a plug in on the heater itself, usually pulls right out. I have seen many of th ecords fray and short. If the element has actually failed, then it obviously needs replaced. Try unplugging the cord from the heater and the plug it in and see what happens. If you have a test meter, check resistance in the cord, low resistance would be a short across. Then check the heater, again, low resistance would not be a good thing. It should have a fair amount of resistance to avoid popping breakers and fuses. You are best off to pul the starter if you have to replace the heater. It's a bit of a pain, but doable. I had to do mine out in sub-zero temps and ice, in the middle of a farm lane where I picked up another 6.9 truck from. Got to revving on the ice a bit trying to get going, when the heater blew out of the block... Apparently, the PO put the heater back in after rebuilding the motor...

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the block heaters for these tucks can be betwween 500 - 1500 watts. if he is using an exteniton cord it should be aleast a 12 gauge cord and no longer then 100ft

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online