Road Tax and ELECTRIC cars

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I got thinking about this. If someone runs Bio, WVO, WMO, ATF, etc. in our trucks, then unless they pay tax to someone, somewhere, they are breaking the law. Tax evasion. Then why on earth, are electric (not Hybrid) cars exempt from this. The tax man says all cars on the road need to pay for the use of the roads, via road tax, yet bicycles, and electric cars don't have to? I know there are very few actual electric cars out there, but GM had the EV1, and there are plenty of people that have converted old Chevy Luv's and Ford Courier's (pre-Ranger) to electric power with tons of batteries in the bed and no one is going after them.
Just something I have been thinking about for a while.
Jerry

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
THAT IS A REALLY GOOD QUESTION :dunnoBUT DON'T ASK TO LOUD :backoffOR THEY'LL USE IT AS AN EXCUSE TO PUT ANOTHER TAX OF SOME SORT ON ELECTRICITY.-cuss

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
there probably playing the same game as they did with propane here in canada where there used to be no roadtax on propane so it was like $0.12/l when gas was like $0.649/l so everyone switched than in like a 3 mo. window propane went up to $0.329/l due to road tax (for U.S language multiply by 3.78 for price per US gallon)

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome the GPS. It's coming. Every vehicle will have a gps that reports mileage...and you will be charged per mile. It won't matter if you drive a electric car or a gas sucking 1972 Caddy. I have heard you will be charged more to drive during peak hours, and more/less depending which roads you travel.

These systems are being tested NOW in several states, including Iowa.

( insert "raised middle finger" image here )

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will be alot of privacy freaks who will fight that one, lets see them put one on my 69 cougar. They would probably try to ticket you if your gps registers too high a speed in a given area.

-Rob

sassyrel

Reaction score
Welcome the GPS. It's coming. Every vehicle will have a gps that reports mileage...and you will be charged per mile. It won't matter if you drive a electric car or a gas sucking 1972 Caddy. I have heard you will be charged more to drive during peak hours, and more/less depending which roads you travel.

These systems are being tested NOW in several states, including Iowa.

( insert "raised middle finger" image here )

and where in iowa are these being tested??? me like to yak to the creator, and user of that pos---

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and where in iowa are these being tested??? ---

There was a story on NPR a few months ago talking about the different states testing these. I had though states in the North East were playing with them, and 3-4-5 counties in NE Iowa too.

:puke:

What happens when you wrap the GPS in aluminim foil? No workie? I'll try!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online