RF Axle U-joints in Phase?

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, who knows how to put the RF axle u-joints in phase on a D50 front end? I researched this when I replaced the ball joints and u-joints a couple of years ago(ya, I didn't mark it), but the outside u-joint just came apart on me so I may have screwed the phasing up. I put it together so that the outside part of both u-joints were aligned. But also the failure may have been caused by the caps not being seated completely. I read a comment from a mechanic that recommended hitting the end of the joint with a hammer until it seats fully, but I don't know if that's BS or what... but it sounds good.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks franklin2! I marked the spline this time so when I put it back together tomorrow I'll have some confidence that it's right.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks texcl! I like pictures... shows me exactly where to wack it with the hammer.

A more normal set up is to close your vise enough so that the horizontal ears are resting on top of the vise and the vertical is hanging freely then proceed as stated, I had the one in the pic. trapped and the horizontal ears supported underneath because I didn't have any one to hold it and didn't want to drop it on the concrete.