Rewiring block heater

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was 4 wheeling with the boy the other day and ripped the plug off the block heater. Oops. Is anyone familiar with the wiring so I can wire up a new plug? green is in the middle so I’m guessing that’s ground?
You must be registered for see images attach

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right but which orientation? Does it matter if I invert the polarity?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right but which orientation? Does it matter if I invert the polarity?

I don't think so. I rewired mine and it's been fine. Cords aren't very expensive if you're worried about it, I just happened to have an old dryer cord on hand. I was just doing it to test the block heater before buying a new cord but that was 5 years ago

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. I rewired mine and it's been fine. Cords aren't very expensive if you're worried about it, I just happened to have an old dryer cord on hand. I was just doing it to test the block heater before buying a new cord but that was 5 years ago
Ah cool. Thanks. I’ve got plenty of cord left, literally just ripped the plug off

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The kind of jerk and stress it took to rip off that plug, could likely have done internal damage to the cord, or to the connections at the heater.

Damage that you won't realize is there, because it works... Until it burns or something.

You might want to consider replacing the entire cord anyway.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s very sound advice, didn’t think of that. Thanks

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Cords aren't very expensive

A couple years ago at O'Reilly, it was cheaper to buy the cord with a heating element than just the cord. So that's what I did. Tossed the heating element in a box of parts and just used the cord.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW the green wire goes to ground, often a green screw. The white wire is neutral, usually a nickel plated or chrome screw. The black wire is hot, and it goes to the bare brass screw.

Easy way to remember:
White to bright
Black to brass
Green to ground

Also lots of replacement cord ends have the terminals labeled.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago at O'Reilly, it was cheaper to buy the cord with a heating element than just the cord. So that's what I did. Tossed the heating element in a box of parts and just used the cord.

Never hurts to have a spare either!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the heater end of the cord is ok... (I'd test it twelve ways to sunday before declaring it good.)

Then you could cut that end of the cord off, with a few inches to spare... And any 12ga cord could be spliced to that.

Cheap enough. And maybe free if you have a spare 12ga extension cord hanging around.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Never hurts to have a spare either!

Not sure if the element fits IDIs. I just got the cheapest kit for the cord, not caring about the element. Both cords on both my IDIs were will beyond repair. The F250's was all original but the insulation was too far gone. The RV's was poorly spliced in 1 or 2 places with masking tape. Both cords went in the trash. I moved the F250's newer cord to the RV. It's been a few times the past 2 winters in west/panhandle TX when it got down below freezing enough that I felt I should run it. Last winter it was 13*F one morning. I didn't drive that day but the day after I ran the block heater (on grid) for a couple hours before I left to help it start better.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
This is the kit I bought a couple years ago. ($37 now) Listed as "not compatible with IDIs. Not sure if the element won't physiclaly fit or if it's because it's only 600W element. The cord is correct though:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ostart-600-watt-engine-heater/3100040/4871285

The 1000W proper fitment kit to fit is $85:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...00043/4871288/1985/ford/e-350-econoline?pos=0

It looks like just the cord is now cheaper:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...rd/e-350-econoline?q=engine+heater+cord&pos=0