Results of Cooling System Pressure Test

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got to AZ and borrowed a pressure tester for the cooling system as JD suggested in this thread. I pumped it up to 15 psi and scooted underneath to see if I could find and leaks.
In this image you can see come coolant dripping off of the fuel pump. Must be coming from the head gasket just above?

While looking around I also snapped a few pictures where the head gaskets have been weeping some oil in the back.
Back passenger side
Passenger side #2
Drivers side
Rusty residue on the drivers side from the front

So what do you think guys? Time to order a set of studs and head gaskets?
Tristan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The rusty area at the front of the passenger side head may well just be the thermostat housing gasket. I thought mine was bad just like you but found it to be the housing gasket leaking and not the head. Its a very tight area to determine whats leaking. The thermostat gasket is the cheapest way to go before you pull the head. The other pics are way too blury for me to comment on. P.S. 15 lbs is too much. Use 13 lbs max. The radiator can't handle much more. Neither can the oil cooler o-rings.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I found the same thing. Thermostat gasket. Heck, I bet that if the upper hose clamp was loose, it'd run down by the fuel pump

tractorman86

Reaction score
where in AZ are you? i'm round Phoenix if u wanna stop by and we can take a look! i would look elsewhere before i messed with the headgasket

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tractorman86 said:
where in AZ are you? i'm round Phoenix if u wanna stop by and we can take a look! i would look elsewhere before i messed with the headgasket

LOL, he's in Washington state. "AZ" is short for Auto Zone.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
f-two-fiddy said:
I found the same thing. Thermostat gasket. Heck, I bet that if the upper hose clamp was loose, it'd run down by the fuel pump

Damn Two-Fiddy, you are good. I went out and pressurized it up again today and low and behold there was come water running down from that upper hose clamp. Thanks man!

Yes AZ=Autozone... Phoenix is way too hot for this northwesterner this time of year!

So noe that the water leakage is solved how about those other pictures where you can see some oil oozing out from the back of the headgaskets? I know the pictures are fuzzy, darn camera didn't know what to focus on.