replacement governor spring?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched the site, and I couldn't find anything. So don't be ******* me if the info is out there, just shove me in the right direction. I solved my fuel supply issue, advanced the pump a hair(no timing equip. avail.) and turn the fuel screw in 3/4 of a flat on the hex. The truck runs 100% better than it ever has. I actually enjoy driving the truck now, it's not quite the underpowered pig it was. So onto my problem....it defuels at 27-2800. I need more rpm's out of it. I've drove 3 other trucks, and they all pull 3500 at least. Is there a replacement spring? What's the part number? help? It's not that I intend on running high rpm's all the time, or even most of the time, just that some of the hills I pull, I need to be able to run it up a little higher to pull decent in the next gear, instead of lugging for a while before coming back into the power. Thanks for any help--

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you might have the IH school bus and S-series trucks which does limit out around that. I would imagine you could have different springs put in, but at that point you may as well get a rebuilt pump. I would imagine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing the springs is not a big deal, as long as you've been in an IP before, and are aware of the risks of improper reassembly. Any standadyne dealer can probably get them for you, but the trick will be telling them the right pump model number to get the right springs.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have the right pump #'s for a normal truck? I really don't know what this motor came out of. When i got it, it had been transplanted once before already. Given our area, though, I'd bet it came out of a short bus as it had all of the van fuel filter mounting, and had to have the oil cooler changed to fit into the first truck it was transplanted into.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or does anyone have an used one I can buy out of an old pump that they know turned more than 2700? pm me