replaced MLPS in 1994 7.3 IDI and now it shifts funny.

jkramar022

Reaction score
At first my overdrive light would start flashing and my truck would shift really hard once in a while. Now the overdrive light doesn't flash anymore but it shifts hard all the time. I took it to the tranny shop and had them scan it, had a ton of codes set. He reset it and I drove it for a while then it started acting up again and set all the trouble codes again. He said to replace the mlps sensor so I did and now it doesn't shift hard anymore but now it shifts funny. when taking off it revs up to aprox 2700 to 3000 rpm before shifting into second and then when it shifts into 3rd sometimes it immediately goes into overdrive even if it just shifted into third. Also when it does shift into overdrive I push the overdrive off button and it doesn't make any difference it stays in overdrive. When I take off I can manually shift it into 2nd then manually shift it into 3rd and it shifts good but not on its own. I think I might have him clear the codes again and then see which ones it sets. He originally thought it might be a short and maybe the reason for all the codes set.

jkramar022

Reaction score
Well I put it in neutral and pulled the old one off and the new one slid right on. I checked the notch on the inside of the circle on the switch before I stuck it on and it was in the same place as the old one. I also replaced the old plug with the new one they gave me. And I did each wire one by one like the diagram said so I didn't get them mixed up. I did have a little trouble getting the two plugs to line up again after I replaced the one end. But I played with it for a bit and got the male to plug into the female. Are their other adjustments that can be made?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online