Removing push button starter - which wire on column?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
What wire on the column coming from the ignition switch actually controls the starter on an '85? I'm trying to take out a hack-job push button starter and want everything to work through the ignition again.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the push-button is a "hack job", why not re-wire and re-mount is much more professionally and stay with the push-button ??

A push-button is far more trouble-free and much more useful than the consumeristic key-switch start.

:)

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be that the cast wishbone ignition actuator is busted, and the PO decided not to tear the column apart to fix it. Thats why most switch to that. I have pushbutton because mine broke but its fixed so now ive got both. Ran my own wire, he may have too!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I have two pushbuttons hidden in my truck, one for manual glow plugs and one for push button start. my glow plug relay works fine and my key switch work fine but If I find myself needing them they are there, as to the wire I really dont know i would just take a meter and find which one gets +12 vdc when I turn the key and only when I turn the key

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red/blue wire is the one. It's supposed to leave the ignition switch and go to the neutral safety on the side of the automatic tranny, or the clutch switch if you have a manual, and then it goes over to the relay on the fender for starting.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep the button works much better over time. I replaced my column drum twice in 3 years now an I have the button. idk why it goes out im very easy with it to.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Many moons ago I had a beat-up old Plymouth Horizon with bad door locks; when the ignition switch went out, I put in a push-button and tossed my keys entirely. It was awesome, just get in and go, like a big go-cart. But I would not recommend those "mods" if you don't want your vehicle stolen...it would have been a blessing if someone took that thing off my hands, but strangely enough, no one ever even tried...:rolleyes:

I'm seriously considering going push-button on the '90 since the gps are now on one. The keyless entry is spoiling me and because of my job I have about 50 keys on me at all times already...but the ignition is pretty much the one circuit that I didn't have to rewire, and the switch feels/works great. But just as soon as it acts up...P-B time!

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
It's already out of the truck. I just hate push buttons. I had to bypass the neutral safety switch on the clutch, but that doesn't bother me. Now, I get to figure out how to put a 7.3 glow plug system on this truck.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
It's already out of the truck. I just hate push buttons. I had to bypass the neutral safety switch on the clutch, but that doesn't bother me. Now, I get to figure out how to put a 7.3 glow plug system on this truck.

If you have the $$$ IH makes a kit to do exactly that, includes new harness, controller and gps...I think the part # is in the parts bin. I was gonna go that route with the '84 but good gravy am I poor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online