Removed Cruise Control Servo - now brakes hiss

cason234

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm going through the slow process of cleaning things up under the hood of my F250 IDI that I don't use any more, or that have given up the ghost, and aren't necessary any longer. One item I removed recently was the cruise control servo. I'd removed my steering wheel anyways and replaced it with an aftermarket one, so there were no more cruise buttons.

Once I removed the Cruise Control Servo, I reconnected the vacuum line directly to the vacuum canister under the hood (ie: there are no open vacuum lines)***. Now, when I step on the brakes, I hear a fairly prominent hiss coming from under the dash. The brakes still work fine, but I notice if I'm sitting in traffic with the brakes applied, the red 'brake' light comes on in the dash (I assume the vacuum has dropped to a 'warning worthy level', although the vacuum pump is supplying sufficient vacuum to keep the brakes functioning normally).

Ought I to have connected the vacuum lines differently? (ie: should I have simply plugged the lines that came into / from the cc servo?

Any help greatly appreciated. Truck still runs like a beast, but the hiss is somewhat annoying, and I figure I'm one hose connection away from having it "right".

cheers

*** to be clear about the lines: there was one line from the vacuum canister to the CC Servo, and one line from the CC Servo to (not sure where, but I think it was the vacuum manifold on the firewall). I removed the CC Servo, and the line from the canister to the Servo. I ran the other line (from the manifold on the firewall) directly to the canister.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One line goes to a dump valve under the dash as an emergency cutoff in case the electronics don't cut it off when you brake. I'm guessing you tapped that directly into the vacuum supply.

cason234

Reaction score
Thanks chillman88..... I'm going to fiddle with the connections and see what happens..... Shouldn't be too hard to figure it out!

cason234

Reaction score
Follow up: removed line from vacuum canister that went under the dash (and plugged both the open nipple on the canister, and the line going through the firewall to under the dash)..... problem solved.... brakes work quietly, just as they always did prior to the servo removal!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726