Recomendations / HELP

alexw21

Reaction score
Ok I am about to take the plunge and get a 2500HD w 6.6L duramax / allison... I am thinking of a 04-06... I have heard the earlier models had trouble with injector service life... TRUE??? plus I really like the interior set up in the 04-06 more than earlier years.
Can anyone tell me about WVO on a 6.6L with the seperate tank? Pros/Cons?
I have a buddy that runs 50/50 WVO/BIO (100) in his 7.3 PSD and has no probs, have heard the same on the 6.6L Duramax, TRUE/False???

thanks

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
You can run WVO in a Duramax with no Issues as long as your set up for it.

The 05 and above Duramax is what you want to look for they are the best models with the least issues. The 06 being the best of that. The 05 is a good model and engine but needs a new turbo mouth piece if its still the stock one. Other than that they are good vehicles when taken care of properly. ;Sweet

alexw21

Reaction score
What where the issues with the 01-04 duramx?
Can anyone tell me the big difference with the LLY and the LBZ enigne? Should I try and find one over the other in an 06'??

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
01-04 is the models with the injector issues. The 06 with an LBZ would be an awesome catch or the LLY would be good. The 06 came with the 6 speed Allison and has a little more hp from the factory. The 05 LLY has the 5 speed and the aformentioned intake problem at the mouth piece which isn't a big problem. Many in the Dmax world like the 6 speed better and they like to put a Transgo Jr in it for beefing up a little when they add items that increase HP.

They are both good vehicles to own and drive. There is lots of life in these trucks if you find one thats under 150k miles and has been taken care of maint wise. If you can find an 06 with less than 100k miles its a good find if in good shape.

alexw21

Reaction score
I have been searching the internet, checking VIN's and it seems like the most common engine I am finding on the 04-05 and 06 is the LLY.... I have come across a few with the LBZ but very few..... what about an 04 with the LLY??

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The best thing to do is to just do your homework on any of them, as long as the maintenance has been done, and you have proof, you'll be ok. Doing any of the electronic diesels is not cheap, and as long as you are within the warranty period for injectors, don't hesitate to buy. Just find the one you like, then run it through all the tests you would do for any other vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online