Rebuilt engine issuses

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for comments guys, I hope this runs great but I'm second guessing myself atm, when I first went to build the engine, everywhere said the cranks were the same between idi and idit so I just got the rods balancer and flywheel, now I hear there is a different crank (I knew about the block being different) and I'm not sure if its going to run smooth. When I installed this engine it was really shaking at idle and smoothed out mostly at higher rpm's but I don't have the right flexplate (I do have the right flywheel, but no standard trans to go with it) as it has been said there different again between turbo and non, also the shaking could be cause it was burning coolant too, I don't have very good luck at times, prime example was with this engine, I was saying to my brother as we were putting it in "watch I'll get it in there and it will leak"... talk about knowing the future in a bad way :(

Am I just being overly paranoid or could I have a imbalance issues? I'm looking for a flexplate for the turbo version so hopefully that's all I need....

Thanks for any and all help.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your running IDIT rods you will only need the balancer and correct flywheel (manual) or flywheel flexplate for the auto trans. The IDIT runs the same crank but it has a externally balanced flexplate with weights welded to it and a IDIT balancer. When you went to the engine balance shop they should have asked for a piston with pin and locks, a rod with bearings, and your balancer and flywheel (manual) or flywheel/flexplate so they could balance the rotating assembly. If your guy didn't ask for all that. He screwed up. If you balanced the engine with the manual flywheel, you can switch to the auto flywheel/flexplate if you want. It would have been better to of had the right one at the balance shop but they will be as close as the manufacture was...

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your running IDIT rods you will only need the balancer and correct flywheel (manual) or flywheel flexplate for the auto trans. The IDIT runs the same crank but it has a externally balanced flexplate with weights welded to it and a IDIT balancer. When you went to the engine balance shop they should have asked for a piston with pin and locks, a rod with bearings, and your balancer and flywheel (manual) or flywheel/flexplate so they could balance the rotating assembly. If your guy didn't ask for all that. He screwed up. If you balanced the engine with the manual flywheel, you can switch to the auto flywheel/flexplate if you want. It would have been better to of had the right one at the balance shop but they will be as close as the manufacture was...

Well that's the thing, they don't do balancing there, I do believe someone in this town does but its probably not cheap, But if I get the right flexplate I should be ok from the sounds of it? I have the right balancer as that was a pain to find.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a balancer and a set of rods for a IDIT, but no flywheels of any type. I'm hoping to get another IDIT engine and build it with a few more mods than my Last NA engine assembly I just completed. If your running it just reassembled from stock parts it will run just fine...It just will be as much as 7 to 10 grams out of balance....The lighter the engine components and the higher you rev the engine the more important balancing becomes....

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have many questions about this idi vs.idit engine components.

My story goes like this. I pulled an engine from the salvage yard. 1994 idit that had a banks sidewinder kit on it. Not sure what, if any, turbo it had from factory. I didn't think to look at the vin of the truck. The engine serial number places it in the run that had the turbo rods. The engine does have the larger oil pressure port as well. Here is the part that confuses me. It had the exact same flywheel as my N/A 92 engine had when I bought it. Same weights and all.

My best assumption is one of these engines had the wrong flywheel installed somewhere along the way. So, what I need to do is bring all the engine components to my machine shop including my manual trans flywheel and they should be able to get everything in balance for me, right?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well just to updated a thread that been hanging for a few years.

Got the engine back with new bearings, new cam and head studs and the shop got three guys to double check the head gaskets before they put the heads on , they also rtv'd the oil pan on per my request. Put the engine into the truck with the proper flywheel (truck got converted to a standard so no more flexplate problem). It seamed to run great! No more white smoke, good oil pressure and sounded great till the oil turned to milk again

The machine shop is beyond baffled at this point and so am I, they lent me block off plates for the front cover and oil cooler and I started diagnosing it at home, drained the milkshake of oil out and left the drain open just in case, pressured the system and..... rad is leaking blah! Get the rad checked out and the rad shop said it's beyond repair, over a grand to recore it so I buy a new spectrum aluminum rad from them.

Back to the engine with the new rad, pressure check and this time no external leaks, though I do hear water dripping onto the ground, bit of looking around and it's coming out of the drain hole in the oil pan.

Pull engine out again and bring it to the machine shop, they tear it down and pressure check it again,
You must be registered for see images attach

And cylinder 8 has a hole in it.... so they sleeve 8 and 7 (Just in case and I asked them to do 7 too). They redo the pressure check after the sleeving and all is good! Also they did this all under my super expired warranty which is very nice of them to do this.

At this time being they had it tore down again they let me bring the rotating assembly to another machine shop to get balanced, something I should of done on round 1 or round 2, they balance it with the flywheel I had then balanced a flexplate to it also just in case something happened down the road and I couldn't run a stick shift for some reason.

New again engine all assembled, I fill it up and do a pressure check and all is good, finally!

Skip ahead to the present and I finally got the engine in a driveable truck, has good power and doesn't loose coolant or get milkshake oil perfect! Now here's the but part....

I didn't think anything of it at first because I changed so many things at once, new engine mounts, polly cab mounts, new to me truck that I put it in, anyways I have a engine vibration around 1,000 to 1,200 rpm which is where it is the worst that I haven't figured out. First thing I tried is the fuel system and cracking injectors and changing timing did nothing. Brought the truck by the shop that balanced it and they said it was not right. So now begins the fun of troubleshooting.

First thing I tried and didn't have much hope for was the pressure plate bolts for the clutch, I had used regular grade 8 bolts with no shoulder on them and the shop said with out the shoulder on the bolts to center the pressure plate it could throw off the balance, now easy to change those out with out removing anything but the inspection cover I changed the bolts, pulled all the old ones out, started the new ones in and tightened in a crisscross pattern, made no difference so much for easy!

Next step is to pull the clutch in case it's improperly balanced or the flywheel is not drilled center, they didn't balance the engine with the clutch as the clutch is zero balanced by itself.

If that doesn't change it then I'll pull the flywheel off and try the flexplate and see if it runs smooth with that and if that doesn't fix it then out comes the engine and tore down and back to the balancer to see what's up.

What a pain in the a$$ this engine has been and I really should just give up on it but I can't for some reason, I'll updated this as soon as I know more info and feel like ripping the truck apart again!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Now I can't remember who, but someone went through like 5 flywheels trying to get one that was right.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that if the flywheel is drilled wrong that either I can get it drilled right or if I get a new flywheel it will have the same balance as this one. This flywheel I have is a New Generation flywheel. Never heard of them and didn't know when I got it to check bolt hole spacing. I'll find out in the next week or so what is causing all the problems.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn’t accidentally swap balancers did you?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that if the flywheel is drilled wrong that either I can get it drilled right or if I get a new flywheel it will have the same balance as this one. This flywheel I have is a New Generation flywheel. Never heard of them and didn't know when I got it to check bolt hole spacing. I'll find out in the next week or so what is causing all the problems.
If you pay shipping I’ll send you some flexplates to try if you want.