Rebuilt 89 7.3 will not idle or go over 2100 rpm

BryantMarwitz

Reaction score
Here's where the truck stands this morning. Last night I filled to filter with B12 and Lucas injector cleaner ran it for a few seconds until the truck started running different like it had drawn some of the cleaner into it. This morning the truck did not start easy, I guess the combo of a gummed up IP and cleaners didn't help matters. We got it started and it runs even better now, but it still isn't quite there yet. I would say that the engine with a load on it feels about like it did without a load on it early yesterday, so major improvements all around.

With the idle screw backed out to where the engine idles at about 650 the governor will still not catch it. If you rev the engine and then let off, the engine will die if you don't bring the RPM back down slowly.

We have been running it on old diesel but we diluted it this morning with 10 gallons of fresh stuff. I know that the old fuel isn't helping much but I couldn't tell a difference from when we had the truck running out of a can of fresh diesel to when we switch it to the tanks.

I'm gonna head into to town to grab some of that Hot Shot's Diesel Extreme for IP/injector cleaning. If you guys have any suggestions for cleaners or better ways to clean the pump feel free to mention. I'll get some pictures and video of it. Excited that this thing might actually be working.

Thanks for any feed back!!!

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we diluted it this morning with 10 gallons of fresh stuff.
I'd use a fuel treatment in the tanks too.
Opti-Lube is my preference ... 1 part of their "XL" + 1 part their "Boost" treatment (about 1oz total per 10gal of fuel).
The trucks seem to "like" it ... my fuel economy improved (IDIT) from 9mpg to almost 12mpg as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance