Rebuilding front end 93 f250 dana 50

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 f250 with a dana 50 in the front. I am replacing the ball joints and have them pressed into place and I have one problem. The passenger side axle was 2 pieces and I removed it at the slip joint under the boot. How do I remove the other section so I can replace the u joint? Is there a clip inside? Any instruction or help to get to it would be appreciated.

93 f250 7.3 idi with a banks turbo 4x4

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I have the book if this dont get it

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
There is indeed a c-clip that retains the intermediate shaft inside the differential. The differential drops out as a 3rd member so it's not to difficult to get to. Just a bit of a pain to get back on the axle beam since it's heavy/awkward.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That universal very rarely goes bad. I would not consider replacing it as maintenance. Is it bad?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the splines for wear on the slip yoke and the axle. Grease worms eat all the grease out and they can wear. You have to replace the axle if you find you have been infested.

And just a note, the very early dana axles had a 3 bolt plate that retained the short stub axle on the pass side, you don't have to drop the pumpkin for the clip. I don't know when they went to the clip but it was in the early 80's.

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... That is what I figured I was going to have to do was pull the center section. I was thinking of maybe adding 2 studs to make installation easier. And that U joint is bad.. all of my u joints were horrible but I do have almost 300k on the truck now. The slip joint was frozen but once I got it free it did have some grease in it and it didn't seam to be worn.

I just have to install my new u joints and it will be ready to go back together...

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last question.. I would like to replace the bearing that is inside of the spindle as well along with any seals that are in the area. In the picture it looks like parts 58, 59, and 50 I would need, does anyone know what they are called and where I can find them... And are dust shields available aftermarket? Mine have some rust holes but not enough to make me pay for prices.. Thanks for the help everyone.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion but when 6ou remove the third member to pull short qxle. Why not drill and tap a drain hole in it so future oil changes can be done with ease?

JM2CW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online