Rebuilding an e4od

scfdiesel

Reaction score
Assuming I'm not going to be doing a lot of heavy towing(most usually 4-5000lbs), how important is it to go the extra money for the red eagle clutches/kolene steels. Also, does anyone have any input on the transgo tugger kit vs their regular shift kit? thanks for any input.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with the red eagle clitches, new OEM/borg warner clutch packs that come standard in a rebuild kit is all you need. Mild shift kit should be all you need, but make sure your kit includes the updated for the front pump as well as for the valve body.

You have any plans to turbocharge the truck?

scfdiesel

Reaction score
David thanks for the reply, I believe you gave me some good input a while back on the tranny rebuild. I'm glad to hear you say that about the clutches. The cost of this diesel conversion is getting pretty high (putting a '79 f150 body on 1989 f250 chassis). There was also something about upgrading to 6 pinion front and rear ?somethings...? (not that well versed in tranny parts). I have already purchased the upgraded F5 pump, a triple disc, tig welded, billet TC, and sonnax power valve .427. Are there any other 'key' parts you would suggest are necessary outside of the gaskets and things supplied with a decent rebuild kit...on a shrinking budget that is. Thanks for any advice.

scfdiesel

Reaction score
Oh Yeah, I have also bought a new ATS aurora turbo package. Will likely try to work out a psd IC soon too. Do you know anything about the moose pump/injectors I have seen reference too. Are they significant power upgrades, are they very costly.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I remember your build. I don't know of many IDIs bolted to E4ODs in the pre 1980 series of trucks;Really

About the gears.

Yes you can upgrade the planetary gears to a steel carrier with 6 pinion gears for forward and reverse. The overdrive is available in 4 pinion again, with steel carrier.

Depending on what year your tranny is, you should have either a 3 pinion planetarys or 4 pinion. Both of which would be with aluminum carriers.

It sounds like you want to be able to push your truck a little harder on occasion, so I would consider upgrading the overdrive and forward planetarys. Reverse never gets used ofted enough to really worry much about.

What year is the transmission? I probably mentioned this before, but make sure you upgrade the tranny to have a roller bearing center support. This is easily one of the most important upgrades you can do for this tranny.

You can get the steel gears, imput shaft and center support as a single upgrade kit from baumannator controls, but its $350 for everything:

http://www.becontrols.com/products/e4odcat.htm (scroll down)

Looking on Ebay, you might be able to save a little on this, but I bought from Karl before for the gears and my transmission controller and he is good to deal with.

I haven't used any of the "moose" products (yet), but I have heard nothing but good things about them from those that have. They cost more than regular pumps and the injectors will probably be several times more expensive than regular new injectors. I think a moose pump is supposed to put out about 30-40% more than a regular pump that is maxed out (some one please correct me if I'm wrong).

Agnem will be able to answer all of your more detailed questions.;Sweet

scfdiesel

Reaction score
David thanks for the response, I think I will go for the steel gears as a kit from your suggestion, I'm tired of looking on e-bay for various parts and wouldn't mind spending a little more getting them in one place. the only thing from the '79 being used is the body, essentially the truck will be a '89 f250. The frame has to be chopped about 2 feet to fit the regular bed from the '79. thanks again for the input.
Scott

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You can save a buck or two with the Borg parts. Use the savings in parts for a good cooler.

Red Eagle clutches, Kolene steels and some machining will build a crazy transmission.:D

Go with the transgo Tugger kit. The Tugger kit will address some other stuff thier shift kit will not. Another option is Sonnax Sure Cure kit.

scfdiesel

Reaction score
Hey david and trackspeeder, thanks for the input, just wanted to know what kind of HP and torque you figure your making?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess mine is putting out 220-230 Hp. I've never dynotested it though.

I should be close to 250 in theory, but I suspect my older injector pump is not squishing as much fuel as it should be anymore.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Not a lot in the power department. :rotflmao I did a few mods and over built the tranny for a six banger.:D I should toss the IDI on a dyno to see what it's making for power.;p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner