1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear main Seal Replacement maybe using Fel-Pro O-ring Protector?

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by Joseph Davis, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Joseph Davis

Joseph Davis Full Access Member

I am replacing the rear Main seal on my 7.3l idi and when buying rear main seal Fel-Pro sell an O-ring that is called an O-ring protector for the rear main seal. looks like it fits in the groove around crankshaft. I know to make sure that I put the new rear main seal in at exact same depth as old one. I have never seen an O-ring protector before and was wondering if they Work to fill in the cut line around crankshaft?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  2. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

An o-ring is almost always made out of rubber. I doubt that it would do much of anything at all in the situation that you're talking about. It sounds like you're talking about a repair sleeve that's made out of very thin metal and it a press fit over the crankshaft. That will cover up the groove in the seal area of the crank.

renjaminfrankln likes this.
  3. Joseph Davis

Joseph Davis Full Access Member

yes I seen the sleeve kit by duralast made out of metal was just wondering if the O-ring by Fel-Pro worked. I Pulled Motor Today and got a good look at the grove and wow! but the leak wasn't bad but it time to get the Job. So go with the metal sleeve kit.