rear fuel tank

Trailer

Reaction score
HI all just wondering if any of you have had this problem?My truck,a 1995 ford 450 super duty dump.MY rear tank does not work allthou when you switch from the front tank to the rear the fuel hand works.I filled it up with fuel but it still will act as if it is running out of fuel and shut completely down every time I switch from front to rear.Does it have one or two fuel pumps ?Thanks for any help.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
powerstrokes only have 1 pump after the fuel switch valve.
my guess is that your pick up is clogged.
and the pre strainer is busted.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you FILL the rear tank? Or just put a few gallons in?

Does the dump make it pretty easy to reach the pickup assembly on top of the tank?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn key on with engine off.put finger on fuel switch,bend down as far as you can,flip the switch a couple times.can you hear the selector valve working?

If not,check fuses underhood and dash.check the plug on the valve for corroded connections and broken wires.check the plug on the valve or back of switch for power.if all is good the valve is junk or stuck.try tapping on it with a hammer.

Trailer

Reaction score
Where is the selector valve located on the truck?I Found what I think is it on the drivers side truck rail but not sure.And would that effect the fuel hand,because when I switch from the front tank to the back tank the fuel gage is working on both tanks but it still runs out of fuel every time I switch from front to rear tank.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside of the driver's side frame rail, just about directly below where the door handle is (may vary based on cab/bed). Six ports, six fuel lines, six-terminal connector with five wires on it. If the gauge is changing, the valve is most likely working; the internal action of the valve switches the contacts for the gauge.

If there's at least 1/2 tank in the rear tank, and it's still "starving" when selected to REAR, then most likely the pickup has come apart somewhere inside the tank, or there's a restriction or a break in the line between the pickup and the selector. If the pickup strainer (showerhead) has come apart, a piece of it may have been drawn into the line and lodged somewhere downstream, quite possibly right at the selector. Either that or it's bad fuel in the rear tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online