rear fuel tank

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone running a factory Bronco fuel tank? After the hassles of mixing B100 (from 5 gallon cans) with #2 diesel from the pump while on the road this weekend, I want to add more fuel capacity to the truck.

I am debating with two choices. First adding a transfer tank into the bed which is costly and takes up more bed space. The second is going with a larger rear tank from a Bronco or an after market 38 gallon tank and moving the spare to the bed. Currently there are two earlier 90's Broncos at the local salvage yard, so could get everything including skid plate and straps for under $100.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am in the exact same boat. I want and need more capacity to avoid fueling ALL the time. I really need a good write up though.....with part numbers!

Thad

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get a new Tiwanese made Bronco tank on ebay for $61. I'm running one on the Moosestang with no issues. Yea, it might not last 17 years like the OEM one did, but at that price, buy half a dozen and you'll still pay less than a Ford one (which is rediculous at like $475 bucks).

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mankypro, For a 4x4 application where ground clearance is a factor, how much deeper is that tank than stock? The stock in my 4x4 '86 basically sits between the rails.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

tractorman86

Reaction score
i've got a rear tank in a 89 superduty, looks much bigger but not as big as that aero. does anyone know the capacity, and if there are any difference in the sender?

tractorman86

Reaction score
well i am pretty sure the gassers have a fuel pump in the tank so it should need a pickup/sender but the tank i am thinking about using is a diesel and just three years older than mine. there was some changes in resistance for some years but i am not sure which. i think it was heath that knew all about them.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the pictures. That is a little low for the snow plowing job my dd '86 has.
But that sure is a 'mongo' looking tank!

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Honestly, what I'd like to do is use a stock fuel sending unit and maybe just run an extension to the bottom if the tank is deeper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online