Rear end

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so i was doing some research on my truck, and im trying to figure out which rear end i have. My truck says it has a Dana 60 3.54 open in it. But when i pull the numbers off of the rear diff and i look them up on Dana's website, it says Ford 70 series 3.54 open. So does that mean it is infact a dana 70? Also what would it take to change it to a Limited Slip? Is it even possible?

Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Dana 70 has a big "70" embossed on the top of the pumpkin near the pinion. Check yours. Yes, you can change the guts in it.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so i was doing some research on my truck, and im trying to figure out which rear end i have. My truck says it has a Dana 60 3.54 open in it. But when i pull the numbers off of the rear diff and i look them up on Dana's website, it says Ford 70 series 3.54 open. So does that mean it is infact a dana 70? Also what would it take to change it to a Limited Slip? Is it even possible?

Thanks

I've never heard of a stock F250/F350 IDI with a dana 60 rear. The early trucks had Dana 70's. I think in mid '85 they changed to Ford/Sterling 10.25.

Heath

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a picture of the 70? I have the serial / identification number of it and it starts with a 70. Its just the axle code on the truck is 73. Ill look around for a big 70 on it. Thanks guys

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea the 70 rear i have has a large 70 cast into the housing.

this could help to
http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

i should look up what mine is, i got a semi-float rear on a F350:rolleyes:

Someone did an axle swap out of a LD F250.

I had two E-350's that broke rear axles and I ended up doing the same thing, using semi float Dana 60's. Particularly for the vans the 1 ton SRW axles are hard to come by.

sassyrel

Reaction score
the 85 i have--had a dana 60 in it, and i changed it out for a 10.25--and got lot heavier springs in the swap----

suv7734

Reaction score
does anyone have a picture of the 70? I have the serial / identification number of it and it starts with a 70. Its just the axle code on the truck is 73. Ill look around for a big 70 on it. Thanks guys

There should be a number stamped on the axle tube to the right of the pumpkin it will start either 60... or 61.... Once you get that number check on this chart and it will tell you what it was when Dana manufactured it.

Attachments

• dana.doc
    68 KB · Views: 5

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Someone did an axle swap out of a LD F250.

I had two E-350's that broke rear axles and I ended up doing the same thing, using semi float Dana 60's. Particularly for the vans the 1 ton SRW axles are hard to come by.

thanks was wondering if it was a story like that, seemed odd to have a semi floater in a truck like mine.

here is a pic of a 70 you can clearly see the 70 cast into the top of it, the axle is also smooth down to the pinion unlike other dana axles.

Attachments

• Dana 70.jpg
    Dana 70.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 7

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i looked up the number, comes up with this.

605247 FORD 70 REAR 1985 F-350 CHASSIS - 70U

So this must have been changed sometime in the lifetime of the truck?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Whats the difference between the semi floating and the full floating rear ends?

a semi float rear end uses the axle to both support the wheel and transfer power to it. where the wheel bolts up on the axle shaft is basically flat.

in a full floating rear the wheel is supported by a spindle just like a 4x4 front end. the axle is only used to transfer torque to the wheel but does not support any of the vehicles weight like the semi float design. that is why you see a large hub in the center of the wheel with bolts around the outside rim. you can unbolt the axle and slid it right out without touching the wheel hence full float.

obviously a full float design is a heavier stronger set up since the only load the axle shaft sees is a torque load and dousent have any stress from wheels.

suv7734

Reaction score
So i looked up the number, comes up with this.

605247 FORD 70 REAR 1985 F-350 CHASSIS - 70U

So this must have been changed sometime in the lifetime of the truck?

Is there any indication the spring perches have been moved?