Rear end gears and a Turbo

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK on my 94 dually I have the 4.10 rear. I would like the 3.55 problem is finding the whole thing to swap out.
I have looked all over Texas. So now I'm just wondering if I can find only the gears out of a single wheel truck with 3.55 and swap them.

Another question kinda directed towards Typ4 but any one is free to answer. If I bought the upgraded compressor wheel is it something I can install and go with or do I need to send it out and have it done and rebalanced?

Wow that was long sinded. Sorry guys but any help is greatly appreciated.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Upgrade turbo wheel...Russ has to mod your housing to fit accordingly.

Gears. buy new...and axle regear kit with new seals and bearings and you'll be golden!

Yukon Gear, Randy's Ring and Pinion and several others can help you with a kit and gear set.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever got a price to have a diff regeared? I am just curious because I looked into it here and it was gonna be about $1200...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever got a price to have a diff regeared? I am just curious because I looked into it here and it was gonna be about $1200...

When I was thinking I had 4:10 gears in my rear axle, I took it to a very reputable guy in Stockton, Ca who was going to charge me $650 to put in new 3:55 gears. Come to find out, it already had those gears in it lol. So he just did a fluid change and I spent $70 for him to do that. I slapped on new tires since I had this diff gear money saved up. I thought it was a very reasonable price and this guy sure did know his stuff. He was the only owner and employee in the shop. He told me he didn't want to hire anyone else because he only trusts his work and nobody else's lol.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like the guy in the one man gear shop knew his employees very well.. Anytime you take apart the turbo shaft your going to need a balance shot. These turbo shafts spin just past 130,000 rpm. At 120,000 rpm thats 2000 rpm per second.... Any out of balance and your ruined a good torbo..

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK on my 94 dually I have the 4.10 rear. I would like the 3.55 problem is finding the whole thing to swap out.
I have looked all over Texas. So now I'm just wondering if I can find only the gears out of a single wheel truck with 3.55 and swap them.

although it it may "appear" as such in some record books,but after searching much,much more than one state.i called around,and e-mailed for days and days spending many hours per day as well the whole of US practically- i gave up after starting in New England and going to mid US,so i never got to the west coast.
i fully believe sterling didn't "really" (i care less what book claims) offer the 3.55 gearing in the "DRW PICKUP" axle in the second generation (1993-1997) which has the longer pinion and yoke.
to the best of my knowledge they do not exists. it matters not what you find "listed" as such on car-part.com.....trust me,or you'll be hours on end chasing a ghost.

however,the 1st gen (pre-'93) sterling (though rare) "DRW PICKUP" (even cab n chassis fyi,but it does you no good) did offer the 3.55 gearing.just have to make sure you get one with a ring tone/VSS (which was used for RABS.) for speedo/e40d operation.

so in short,you can find one,pre dated 1993.BUT they're rare enough you'll most likely need to have one shipped from out of state......or spend forever searching in just one lol.i wouldn't recommend it.

since you have a DRW PICKUP axle.a 2nd gen at that already.they are worth some coin.
you should be able to have a shop install a ring/pinion for about the same $ as buying another rear,having it shipped,conversion u-joint,new u-bolts,older rear which will require new brakes,possibly bearings,seals,and drums.then your still left with slightly downgraded 1st gen sterling.
pay a shop and be done with it.at the same time,make it worth it.pick out a good LS device.

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who couldn't find one. Well.to top it off does any one know any good shops around waco Texas that will do it?

Reaction score
I can second to send it to Russ I trusted a local mechanic and was burned bad I had to buy a whole new cartridge and get the whole thing machined and balanced and blended. Just send it to Russ have it done right and don't worry bout it.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Theres a shop over here in reno,nv that will regear a 3.55 to a 4.10 on a sterling for $750. My dad was gonna take it to him because he was my dads mechanic when dad was in high school. His main shop work is all about axles, transfer cases, and transmissions. He's been in business for about 50 years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.