Rear brake shoe size?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that I'm due for rear shoes. The parts stores have 2 sizes. One being 3 inches wide and another only 2.5 inches wide. Any idea what an 87 F250 would have? Or do I have to pull a wheel to find out?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure my 86 F-350 is 3 I just did brakes a few months ago you can take the rear drum off and put a tape to it but my local parts store Carry's both all the time

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does a semi and floating axle mean? Mine is 8 lug and the axle shaft can be unbolted and removed if that helps.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your axle is “floating”from the hub if it can be removed like that. If it cannot then you have a semi floating design

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled a wheel and drum today. Are our lug nuts some sort of locking lug nuts ? They sure are hard to get on and off! Rear shoes are 3 inches wide. Not as bad as I had thought they would be. My noise was the self adjuster cable. its broken and flapping around inside the drum.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I pulled a wheel and drum today. Are our lug nuts some sort of locking lug nuts ? They sure are hard to get on and off! Rear shoes are 3 inches wide. Not as bad as I had thought they would be. My noise was the self adjuster cable. its broken and flapping around inside the drum.
My brand new ones did that in a few weeks time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk