Rear axle problem

CarrollShelby8

Reaction score
Hey I was in the process of changing out my rear axle bearings and seals today (Sterling 10.25) one side went fine, the other side previous owner had put 3 tack welds from the axle bearing lock nut to the axle tube!

Welds are broken now, but there's slag in the threads and the axle nut is just spinning in place. Can't come out or can't tighten back up. Any thoughts on how to get this out or am I looking at much larger problem?

You must be registered for see images attach

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look for a used axle at this point and rebuild or run as is if in decent shape.

Skidtech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer. Probably why the last guy welded it. You might be able to get a small cut off wheel in there and carefully cut the nut in 2 and peel it out... If ur really good u might even be able to do it with a torch or plasma cutter worse case is u ruin it and u will need an axle.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
do you know if you have any thread left on the axle tube, if that is stripped you might be hosed. the axle tube is part of the overall housing i dont think you can change them without a lot of setup/machine work. if you think just the nut is stripped i would try a tungsten carbide bit on a dremel or even a drill.

you will have to be careful, but it will cut the nut apart. also WEAR EYE PROTECTION! using one of those carbide cutters puts sharp little metal slivers everywhere! you will have to thoroughly clean the bearings and housing out afterward.